Chrome extension constantly asks for master PW (will Yubikey solve it?)

Options
maxamaxa2
maxamaxa2
Community Member
edited April 2023 in Windows

I changed from lastpass after many years so a bit new to 1password.
One thing that I have hard to stomach is having to change my master password to a simple one since the chrome extension asks me to log in every time I lock the computer or close chrome. For me who have control over my hardware, it was totally fine to have a strong password that was needed very seldom rather than an easy one needed 15 times a day.

So, to my question.
IF I get a yubikey, will that automatically log me in to 1password when in the USB-slot or will I still need the master password all the time?

Or could we perhaps have a feature where we insert the master password, then the app can trust the computer for 60 days or something? Tbh the biggest threat is not that someone comes in to my office, figure out my windows password/pin and then abuses my passwords while I'm in the bathroom. Having a strong password for outside attacks is for me 1000% higher prio than the on premises over-protecting security ruining the strength of my password for easier outside attacks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.10.0
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser:_ Chrome 112.0.5615.138

Comments

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @maxamaxa2, thanks for reaching out!

It's not currently possible to use a YubiKey in the way you describe. However, based on your description, it sounds as if you might be using the 1Password extension in a standalone manner. If so, this behaviour can be improved by installing the 1Password 8 desktop app alongside it. The desktop app will integrate with the browser extension in order to share unlock states, allowing the extension to remain unlocked through closing and reopening your browser.

Once you have both installed, I would recommend adjusting your auto-lock settings in the app to meet your needs. The changes will apply to the extension as well:

1. Press the Windows key on your keyboard, and click 1Password near the top of the list.
      • If you don't see 1Password listed here, you don't have the app installed. Download and install it from the following link, and try again: Download 1Password 8 for Windows
    2. Unlock with your usual credentials if prompted.
    3. To the top left of the app, choose ⋮ > Settings, then click Security.

There you will find two settings under the Auto-lock heading:

• Lock 1Password when computer locks - here you can choose whether 1Password will lock when you lock Windows.
    • Lock after the system is idle for - here you can specify the number of minutes of inactivity before 1Password will lock, from 1 minute - never.

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions, let me know!

This discussion has been closed.