Biometric android 13

Options
AlmoEnd
AlmoEnd
Community Member

Hi all. I just bought a galaxy tab a8 because my old galaxy tab a (2016) with Android 8 wouldn't install the fat version of 1password. Evidently I cannot cannot do what I can do on all windows and even Apple devices, namely have 1password to unlock with biometrics. This tablet appears to support only face recognition and I can lock and unlock the tablet with facial recognition. However one password stubbornly requires my password even though I have it set to require password 4 hours after lock. Something stupid I'm missing? Or is android 13 still Beta for one password?

1Password Version: 8.10.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 13
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Biometric android 13

Comments

• ag_timothy
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hi @AlmoEnd, thanks for writing in.

On the majority of Android devices, the security implementation of Face unlock does not meet 1Password's requirements to unlock with facial biometry. Face unlock on most Android devices is considered Class 2 or below meaning the scanner could be tricked or "spoofed" by a photo or video. Due to this, Face unlock is not typically available with 1Password for Android. Hopefully we'll see more secure implementations of Face unlock on Android devices in the future.

To help reduce the frequency your password is required I would suggest changing the Auto-Lock frequency and setting 1Password to "Keep open". It sounds like you've already set an Auto-Lock time. You can set 1Password to "Keep open" with these steps:
    1. Open 1Password.
    2. Open the Recents menu on your device (swipe up or tap |||).
    3. Tap the 1Password icon above the 1Password window.
    4. Tap "Keep Open".

With an Auto-Lock time set, 1Password will stay unlocked until that time passes, the device is restarted or 1Password is manually locked. The "Keep open" setting helps prevent battery optimization or other system features from closing 1Password in the background. Let us know if that helps!

• AlmoEnd
    AlmoEnd
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sure it will help if I can figure out how to do it. On my device it says lock this app rather than keep open. Is this what we're trying to get accomplished?

• AlmoEnd
    AlmoEnd
    Community Member
    Options

Appears not since I was reprompted after a random time period, less than autolock setting!

• AlmoEnd
    AlmoEnd
    Community Member
    Options

I really think the app developers should not pretend that face recognition works if in fact it can't be supported for whatever reason. I think it's reasonable to protect against spoofing not to allow the camera even if android itself does, but please Gray out the slider showing the face recognition to prevent confusion.

• Hi @AlmoEnd thanks for following up with me.

Here's what that setting and menu looks like on a Samsung S22 I have with me:

It may show up differently on previous versions of Android and does change from one manufacturer to another. If you see a padlock icon after tapping "lock this app" I would imagine it's a similar setting though it doesn't sound like it's had the same effect.

Did you find that setting in the device settings menu or by interacting with the 1Password app icon/window in Recents?

but please Gray out the slider showing the face recognition to prevent confusion.

This setting showing as available is in fact a bug and one we're planning to resolve in future updates. My apologies for any confusion.

• AlmoEnd
    AlmoEnd
    Community Member
    Options

Here is same from Samsung galaxy tab a81

• AlmoEnd
    AlmoEnd
    Community Member
    Options

Timothy, could you check your android version? It shows the little padlock but as I mentioned it's not staying unlock or open.

• AlmoEnd
    AlmoEnd
    Community Member
    Options

IIRC the settings|apps|1Password|Battery is set to "Unrestricted" which is supposed to honor the 1P autolock settings?

• Thanks @AlmoEnd.

The device I have is Android 13, so it's quite possible they changed the wording and how that feature works. I don't have a Samsung device with Android 9 (?) device to check that.

Just to confirm I understood correctly, if you select "Lock this app" then open and unlock 1Password for Android and switch to another app or allow your device to idle does 1Password still lock earlier than expected?

IIRC the settings|apps|1Password|Battery is set to "Unrestricted" which is supposed to honor the 1P autolock settings?

Behavior like you've described is typically caused by battery or data restrictions on the device. Unfortunately on the user side, some device manufacturers give you minimal control or layer the settings in multiple locations. Even if an app is set to "unrestricted" it still be restricted in some ways. The "lock" "pin" or "keep open" options tend to be the best way to bypass this.

You can check the data restrictions for 1Password:
    1. Open device settings.
    2. Tap Apps > 1Password > Mobile data.
    3. Tap Restrict background data > Never.
    4. Tap Allow app while Data saver is on, on.

There are a few other battery options to try as well:
    1. Open device settings
    2. Select Device care.
    3. Tap on the Battery icon > ⋮ > Settings.
    * On some devices, tap Battery > App power management instead.
    4. Disable Adaptive battery, Put unused apps to sleep, Auto disable unused apps and Optimize settings.
    5. Tap Sleeping apps and remove 1Password if listed.

Some of those setting can be targeted by app, so it may be possible to set Put unused apps to sleep off just for 1Password for example. Let us know how that goes.

• AlmoEnd
    AlmoEnd
    Community Member
    Options

My device is also Android 13, but it's a Samsung derivative thereof. So Sammy may have changed the wording? This is a quagmire for competent doc writers (which 1P's seem to be, although I have a few grumbles here and there LOL), unless the documentation delivered is sensitive to the OS and version.

I'll try the battery settings, although I assume 1P to be a bit of a battery hog, but it is even more so when it needs to be unlocked a lot, true? I'll have to go back a few years, or a couple courses on Malware Engineering, to understand why TSR (that acronym still used?) applications are considered threat sources. Maybe I just need to watch a few episodes of "Halt and Catch Fire" to remember...

• Hi @AlmoEnd, thanks for your message. I'd definitely agree writing for Android devices can be a bit tricky when each device type has different naming conventions. Apologies for any missteps on our part!

Below I've included a GIF from a Samsung S22 running Android 13. You can see I open Recents, scroll over to the 1Password window, tap the icon, then select "Keep Open".

Is that where you see "Lock this app"?

From my experience 1Password doesn't consume too much battery when unrestricted but that may vary somewhat by device and 1Password usage.

If you're referring to terminate-and-stay-resident I don't believe that is still used frequently but I see enough acronyms daily that I might have missed a few 😂.

This discussion has been closed.