To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

1Password 8 Setup best practices?

Options
DeeEye
DeeEye
Community Member

I've now moved to 1P8 and wondering what best practices around setup people can share.

I'm trying to understand why people would need multiple vaults other than personal and shared. Right now I store all my 500+ items in 1 vault. Why would it make sense for another vault unless I'm sharing with family?

Can 1 item be stored in multiple vaults?

On the upper left hand corner of 1Password8 it has the family name - why is this? I would rather expect the user name of who is logged in. How do I change this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password setup

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

Technically, vaults are for access control. If you have multiple people with different access requirements, sort the items with the same access requirements into the same vault, then give the people access according to their requirements.

You did it right if you never duplicate items into multiple vaults. If you need different access to an item, move it to a vault where this type of access is granted but don't duplicate it into multiple vaults. If such a vault doesn't exist, and you cannot change an existing vault, create a new vault.

Me, I have a family account with my father. All of my items are in my personal vault except about 5 items in a shared vault we use together. A simple but sufficient setup. He also have his personal vault where he stores all of his items. I try to make the most simple setup as possible everywhere to avoid confusion from complexity. Confusion starts if you accidentally save a login as new item instead of just updating an existing login, and if the new item gets into a different vault. This is something to avoid, so the less vaults the better.

The family name in the desktop app is indicating your current scope of available vaults. If the family is displayed, you "see" all your available vaults from the account. If there are vaults you don't want to see all the time, create a collection. In a collection, you can select vaults, so you can exclude vaults from your current view. If you change your view to a collection, its name is displayed instead of the family name.

This discussion has been closed.