1Password for Mac Update notification .

Options
ronen
ronen
Community Member
edited February 2023 in Mac

I have the 1Password for Mac , 81000055, on PRODUCTION channel
Is there an option to notify when a new update arrives ?
Instead of manually check for update ?
Thanks.

1Password Version: 8.10.0
Extension Version: 2.7.0
OS Version: 13.2.1 (22D68)
Browser:_ safari

Comments

• @ronen

Not like you might have seen in 1Password 7. In 1Password 8 you should see a notification at the bottom of the main window (center) encouraging you to restart to complete the update.

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your reply.
    I don’t see any notification of an update until opening 1Password.
    (Even if 1Password is working in the background.)

• Correct! You would only see the notification when interacting with the main window.

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    Options

Disappointed….
    Thank you

• @ronen

I'll get a feature request in the works for those of us that like better messaging. Did you have something in mind? I was thinking something that works with the native macOS notification center. Would that satisfy your wishes for the feature?

• pjm
    pjm
    Community Member
    Options

Let me come in here as well.

In 1Password 8 you should see a notification at the bottom of the main window (center) encouraging you to restart to complete the update.

This probably will only happen if I have enabled to install updates automatically, which I don't have.

What I'd like to have is a notification when a new version is available, but leaving it to me if and when to install it. Currently I have to check this manually.

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    Options

That’s exactly my question….😀

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

The "resistance is futile" style update mechanism of 1PW8 is a downgrade compared to 1PW7.
    First of all you don't get release notes neither before nor after installation. Even worse you can't even decide if you really want to update. As soon as you get the notfication the app is already replaced in the backround and becomes active when you restart the application.

The way it worked in 1PW7 was way better and the update mechanism used is in line with almost all non app store applications, i. e.:

• open a message box showing the full releasenotes before the update is going to be installed
    • offers options to skip, remind later or install now
  • ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    Options

Fully agree

• @viswiz and @ronen

Interesting enough, making our app update notifications less obtrusive was one of the more popular feature requests that we received back in the 1Password 7 days. Many folks found the release notes and pop-up window to be unnecessary and an interruption to their workflow and just wanted 1Password to stay updated in the background without bothering them.

We always received a few annoyed emails whenever a new update was released. 😅

Personally I liked seeing the release notes on every update but I can understand why many didn't. I've forwarded your comments to our product team so that they can see if we can offer more options in the future.

-Dave

ref: PB-32586955
    ref: PB-32587039

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave :
    Are you using:” annoyed “ word in your reply?
    😳

• @ronen

The older-style update notifications interrupted some people's workflow, causing them annoyance, which is one reason why we designed the new more silent update mechanism. 🙂

-Dave

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    Options

You can add a user option to choose In preferences to automatically background updates or with notification

• Thank you, I've passed along your suggestion to the team. 🙂

-Dave

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

The development of 1PW8 remains a mystery for me. I remember some complaints about the old updater interrupting peoples workflow although its implenetation used the approach pretty much every application used. The problem could have been solved be a simple switch.
    But I don't remember any complaints about item counts or the search UI. Yet item counts were removed (or to be more precise reimplemented in a way that no one is able to find them) and even worse the search UI was changed in a way that makes it by far the worst implementation of search I've ever seen, i. e. instead of showing all results inline one has to deal with an annoying popup window and extra keyboard shortcut to get all results.

As I consider 1PW a security related software showing the release notes before an update is a must in my opinion.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@viswiz

I've added your comments to the feature request that I filed on your behalf earlier. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-32587039

This discussion has been closed.