Where are the local 1Password data files?

Options
jasimon9
jasimon9
Community Member

I prefer to make a local backup copy of the local 1Password data files. Several years ago (most likely in this forum), I was told that the local copy of the 1Password files were at ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data. However looking at those files now shows they have not been getting updated as their most recent file date is August 2020.

I just got a new Mac and have installed 1Password. Looking at the same location on the new computer shows that while there are some directories and files at that location, there are no 1Password data files containing my information.

My conclusion is that 1Password no longer puts a backup copy of user data in such a location.

My intent would be to update the scripts I used for backing up these locations. Is there some alternative way that this could now be done, or is there no longer any local backup copy of the secured information?

1Password Version: 8.10..4
Extension Version: 2.1.0
OS Version: 12.6.5
Browser:_ Brave

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2023
    Options

@jasimon9

The previous location would have been before you moved to a membership. You indicated you are using a membership (1Password 8.10.4) those files are in a slightly different location. Also, I hope that was a typo for the extension version number. 2.10 is available. If it happens not to be please update as soon as possible. Knowing you've been around here as long as you have, I highly suspect a typo. 🙂 No worries mind you we're certainly glad to have you with us. Thanks for being part of the community.

~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data is the location you are looking for now.

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy: Yes rechecking shows that the extension is really 2.10.0.

Regarding that other location: I had looked at that too, was looking for similar file names as in the previous implementation. I should have realized that 1password.sqlite is the database. My bad!

And using sqlite3 I was able to see the tables, and as a quick test selecting the data from objects showed a bunch of encrypted data, which is what I would expect. So I think we are all good.

I will adjust my backup script accordingly.

• Dave_1P
    Options

I'm happy that Tommy was able to answer your question. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.