Pending Google Chrome update makes 1Password UI Terrible: "Unable to save generated password"

Options
ooglek
ooglek
Community Member
edited May 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

A website that I frequent, but is only for paying customers, stated after I logged in that my password had expired and I needed to generate a new one. OK, fine, I hate this, but whatever.

So I'm running Google Chrome 112, and I don't quit it and restart it daily so it was running for some period of time. 1P is still filling stuff in, so no issues there.

The form displays 3 visible fields: email (prefilled), New Password, Repeat New Password.

I click in the New Password form, and 1P helpfully offers a generated password.

I click on it. Nothing happens.

I click a thousand times. Nothing happens.

Argh. So I click in the 1P icon in Google Chrome, get the little view, and the first item is "Generate Password" for this site, which seems helpful, so I just hit "Copy."

Then I get at least a weird error: "Unable to save generated password" in white at the bottom of the Extension Widget within Chrome.

Having used 1P for years, I figure Google Chrome updates are required, so I do so and that seems to solve the problem.

EXPECTED

1P UI would inform me that the Google Chrome Extension and Google Chrome were "out of sync" and Chrome required an update in order to Generate a new Password in the browser.

ACTUAL

1P UI was unresponsive, and though the symptom was eventually revealed, the root cause was resolved only because of past experience, not because 1P explained the problem.

Has 1Password written a blog post on WHY when Google Chrome or other browsers have a pending update that 1Password stops working or works inconsistently?

1Password Version: 8.10.4 (81004032)
Extension Version: 2.10.0
OS Version: macOS Ventura 13.3.1
Browser:_ Google Chrome 112

Comments

• ag_tommy
    Options

@ooglek

I think you might actually be experiencing a different issue the team is tracking. Please email us using support+forum@1password.com. Be sure to use the email address tied to the account in question. the team can assist you in determining if I am correct and also provide details on gathering logs if they should happen to need them.

• ooglek
    ooglek
    Community Member
    Options

Will do, thanks @ag_tommy

• Dave_1P
    Options

@ooglek

Thank you for sending in the email. I see that it's with the right team and you'll receive a response as soon as possible. To prevent duplication of effort I'm closing this thread.

-Dave

ref: RHY-71457-191

This discussion has been closed.