Error message: "Your Secret Key or password was recently changed."

Options
AdminJHC
AdminJHC
Community Member
edited April 2023 in iOS

[Removed screenshot as it contained an email address and this is a public forum. The error message in the screenshot from 1Password for iOS was "Your Secret Key or password was recently changed. Enter your new account details to continue." -Moderator.]

1Password Version: 8.10.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iPadOS 16.5 (20F5039e)
Browser:_ Brave
Referrer: forum-search:It says "Your secret key or password was recently changed. Enter your new account details haschanged

Comments

• Hello @AdminJHC! 👋

Can you clarify the issue a little further? You'll usually see that screen in the app after you've changed your account password or Secret Key and the app requires your new login information in order to re-authenticate with your account.

Have you changed either of those recently? Are you still able to log in to your 1Password account on 1Password.com (in the browser, not the app)?

I've removed the screenshot from your post since it contained your email address and this is a public forum.

-Dave

• marcosuave
    marcosuave
    Community Member
    Options

The same thing just happened to me. An error popped up on my Mac from the 1Password app saying that I needed to login again because something had changed. I didn't change my Secret Key or my password. Oddly, the re-login pop-up window already had the Secret Key filled out (not visible though, just the blind character placeholders.) This is a bit concerning. What's going on??

• marcosuave
    marcosuave
    Community Member
    Options

Upon entering my password into the prompt I get this message below the filled out fields:

• BokuWaGaijin
    BokuWaGaijin
    Community Member
    Options

Same thing is happening to me. I definitely haven't changed my password or my secret key. And I have no email informing me of a forced change because of an incident.

• sznrbrt
    sznrbrt
    Community Member
    Options

Same thing just happened to me. I haven't changed neither my password neither the secret key. I assume it's a bug but it's pretty alarming I'd say.

• pstivers3
    pstivers3
    Community Member
    Options

I got the same popup. I clicked the (x) on the popup to close it. Did not enter anything. After my current login to 1password expired I was still able to login.

• marcosuave
    marcosuave
    Community Member
    Options

@pstivers3 You may be able to access your local copy of 1password vaults but if you have the same issue as I'm having with their Mac app, then I assume the little cloud icon at the top right of the window is orange/bold and with a line through it indicating the app is not connected to 1password's servers. This probably isn't a huge deal if you just need access to your vault items, but anything new you change or enter into the vault when it's not connected won't sync with their servers. I actually had this issue earlier and luckily was able to go make a backup of a bank password I had just changed when it just in this local-only state. Seems like this might be a nightmare for a minority of people when it's back up and running if there's multiple versions of the same item's password on different devices currently in local-only mode.

• marcosuave
    marcosuave
    Community Member
    Options

So it was maintenance after all. Whew.

• pstivers3
    pstivers3
    Community Member
    Options

@marcosuave GTK. Thanks.

• Hello @marcosuave, @BokuWaGaijin, @sznrbrt, @pstivers3! 👋

I'm sorry for the alarm. Yesterday, our Operations team conducted scheduled maintenance on the 1Password servers and some users received a message in the 1Password app indicating that an account password or Secret Key was changed. This appears to have been an unintended side effect of the maintenance. Ignore this message – neither your account password nor your Secret Key has been changed. Now that the maintenance is complete you should be able to sign in as usual.

For more information, visit 1Password Status: https://1password.statuspage.io/incidents/n6f7my821dw8

The team is investigating the situation so that we can avoid it in the future. I'm sorry again for the scare and inconvenience.

-Dave

• agrft10
    agrft10
    Community Member
    Options

This just happened to me on iOS - is there another maintenance issue causing this? Doing this in a production environment is very concerning.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@agrft10

I'm sorry that you ran into this issue. Since I don't have access to your account information here on the public forums, I recommend sending an email to support+forum@1Password.com so that our support team can take a look and advise further. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to locate your message and make sure it's gotten to the right place. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.