Chrome extension macOS - extension fails to load majority of time

Options

I've been having issues with the Chrome extension to the point that I can't remember when I last used it successfully within the browser. I'm using it with both a Personal and Team account.

All of the issues listed below started around the time that 1Password Mac 8.9.14 was released, which had the bug affecting the connection between extensions and the app. I can only assume that it's related. I would could them intermittent issues, but it's affecting me 95% of the time now.

The extension fails to show autocomplete options, the 1Password window, and settings for the extension. The window just shows an endless spinner.

I have it set up to interface with the native Mac app so that I can use Touch ID for unlocking; the option is enabled in both the app and the extension.

Restarting the browser seems to work, but only until it requires re-authentication. I've also tried:

• Reinstalling the browser extension
  • Turning off native app integration (both in extension and native settings)
  • Reinstalling the native app
  • Disabling/enabled extension (this sometimes works)
  • Disabling all other extensions. The only ones I've kept enabled after this are uBlock Origin and JSON Formatter.

Inspecting the service worker when the extension is enabled and not working shows:

Error collected by Chrome in the Extensions page show the same.

I'd been an extremely happy 1Password user up until these issues, to the point that I've implemented it for my company. I'd held on until now hoping 1Password were aware of the issues and working on a fix, but it's now reached the point that the disruption is so frustrating that I'm getting a bit disheartened.

Having the extension work so well made it become a core part of my workflow, and having to now switch windows and manually copy/paste (multiple times in the case of MFA) is making me less productive and less inclined to do certain tasks. I could live with the constant password prompts when a minor Chrome update was available (still a flow I think 1Password could improve) - at least it was usable then.

Happy to try any suggestions if I know that it will fix the problem for good; ultimately I just want to get back to the same seamless experience that I had before.

I'm on an M1 Pro 16" MacBook Pro, running Ventura 13.2. Quite a few services installed via Homebrew, including Postgres, Redis, Nginx, DnsMasq. Stopping services does not have an effect.

1Password Version: 8.10.4
Extension Version: 2.10.0
OS Version: macOS 13.2 (M1 Pro)
Browser: Google Chrome Version 112.0.5615.137 (Official Build) (arm64)

Comments

• ag_tommy
    Options

@decnorton

You described macOS 13.2 in use. Do you experience the same if you update to 13.3.1(a)? I would highly encourage you to update as soon as possible as the latest has security updates that are needed as deemed necessary by Apple. I show Chrome Version 113.0.5672.63 (Official Build) (arm64) is available . That macOS update will likely get a Chrome update for you. Possibly to the same version I see.

Please try all the updates and let us know if that improves your state of play.

• decnorton
    decnorton
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy Updated Chrome, macOS and 1Password for Mac to 8.10.6 but the issue still persists I'm afraid.

• ag_tommy
    Options

@decnorton

Please email us using support+forum@1password.com. Be sure to use the email address tied to the account in question. My colleagues who specialize on the extension side of things may have a better idea on what you have encountered. 🤔

Include the following:

Your user name here in the forum. decnorton
    A link to this topic. https://1password.community/discussion/comment/685762#Comment_685762

This will help us connect the dots as they say.

• decnorton
    decnorton
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_tommy

• @decnorton,

On behalf of Tommy you are welcome, let's continue the conversation over email.

This discussion has been closed.