Managing family vaults

Options
slorek
slorek
Community Member

Hi, I'm a long term user of 1Password and would like to roll it out to my kids, most of whom require a lot of support from me managing their passwords and account log ins currently. They've never used password managers so for now we are in the 'training' phase for me to teach them how to use it.

I understand that with 1Password Families their default, private vault will not not accessible to me and so I will not be able to help them set things up or monitor their usage of social media etc.

Is there a way to ensure I have access to their private vaults, or otherwise ensure that all logins are only stored in their shared vault?

It would ideally need to be transitionable to more privacy when they get older.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @slorek !

I'm using a family account and set up an account for my daughter. I'm not able to see her private vault. But that's okay. On all devices she is using with her account, I enabled the shared vault as the default vault for storing her data.

Till now, she didn't store any new entries. She still is using all of her login entries I stored in the shared vault some month ago.

• slorek
    slorek
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @DenalB for your help. I found out about the default vault setting which seems to do what I need as you suggest. But I think this setting is not yet available in the iOS version of 1Password 8 as it was in v7 and they just reinstated it in the desktop app recently. I hope they reinstate it in iOS soo. Thanks again.

• GreyM1P
    Options

@slorek

You can set the default vault in 1Password 8 by tapping the account and collection chooser (the icon in the top-left corner of the Home tab, for example) and choosing Settings..., then the General section, where you'll find the "Save new items in:" setting as shown here:

Let me know how you get on with that. :)

• slorek
    slorek
    Community Member
    Options

@GreyM1P many thanks for this, I'm glad to hear the setting is now available again. I'll give it a go with my kids this weekend.

• GreyM1P
    Options

@slorek – Great! We'll be here if you need anything.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

Sorry for the late reply, @slorek ! Glad, that you found the setting. 👍

Thanks for chiming in here, @GreyM1P . 😉

This discussion has been closed.