To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Account Recovery: Security design

Options
diegolinke
diegolinke
Community Member
edited May 2023 in Memberships

I would like to understand better how does the recovery account functionality works (https://support.1password.com/recovery/) for the Family and Business plan.

As long as I understood each 1Password account has a unique Password + Key and if we lose it it's impossible to recover the account content since the final key that encrypts the data is derivate from these. This is one reason why I like 1Password; these make sense when we read the Zero-knowledge encryption (https://1password.com/features/zero-knowledge-encryption).

However, after reading about this recovery functionality in the Family and Business plan I confess that I don't understand how it's possible, unless there is either a master key per company/family that actually encrypt the data or multisig with the user.

Would be awesome if somebody from 1Password could clarify it for us.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• LieutenantLefse
    LieutenantLefse
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not someone from 1Password, but this is pretty well described in their Security Design whitepaper, beginning on page 54.

• diegolinke
    diegolinke
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, thank you!!! Great whitepaper.

• Hi @diegolinke,

I'm glad to hear that you found the information informative!

To avoid sharing your account information here, if you have any additional questions, can you send us an email to support+forum@agilebits.com from your account's registered email address so we can continue the conversation there.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

This discussion has been closed.