Feature Request - 1Password support WebAuthn platform authenticators (not just cross-platform ones)

Options

Currently for 1Password WebAuthn 2FA platform authenticators are NOT currently supported (i.e. built-in biometric/PIN) for WebAuthn). Only not cross-platform authenticators (e,g, an external USB/BT/NFC device) are supported for 1Password WebAuthn 2FA.

From my Android device I want to be able to use my Android's built-in native WebAuthn security key to do 1Password WebAuthn 2FA, but at the moment I can't. I can only add USB/BT/NFC authenticators.

Other services support platform authenticators and allow me to use my Android's built-in native WebAuthn security key from my Android device for 2FA, so would love 1Password to support it too.

(I know Passkeys support is coming, but this request is different. Passkeys support will be offered from within 1Password, whereas I'm talking about the types of WebAuthn authenticators are supported for 1Password WebAuthn 2FA).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:webauthn platform authenticator

Comments

• Hi @papayaunderground, thanks for writing in and sharing your interest in a platform authenticator option!

I can definitely see the benefit of having more ways to authenticate and, while I can't make any promises about the development of 1Password, I would be happy to file a request for this feature on your behalf. To ensure I've captured all the details, I'd like to ask what benefit a platform authenticator has for you compared to a security key or authentication app and how it might improve your workflow.

Thanks again!

• papayaunderground
    papayaunderground
    Community Member
    Options

The benefit is that I won't have to deploy physical WebAuthn tokens to all the staff in my org. I can just use the existing built-in WebAuthn tokens that already exist on the phones and computers that our staff use.

• Hi @papayaunderground, thanks for following up and sharing those additional details.

That makes a lot of sense and I can certainly understand the the use case for such a feature. While I can't make any promises about the development of 1Password, I've filed a feature request with the product team on your behalf.

Let us know if we can help with anything and thanks again!

ref: 33034062

This discussion has been closed.