No passcode option on iPod Touch

Options
benmattison
benmattison
Community Member

I've been using 1Password 7 on my iPod Touch because it still offers a passcode option, and regularly typing my master password on that little keyboard is very unwieldy. Recently I noticed that there is a passcode option on my phone in 1Password 8, so I installed it on the iPod—and that option is not visible in settings. It isn't visible on my iPad either. Do you need to have FaceID in order to use the passcode option? It is on the iPod, with no biometric option, where it is most needed!

1Password Version: 8.10.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:passcode iPod touch

Comments

• GreyM1P
    Options

Hi there @benmattison

Because the iPod touch doesn't have Touch ID or Face ID, it doesn't have a Secure Enclave like an iPhone or iPad would. To unlock 1Password using the device passcode, 1Password has to be able to store a secret securely on the device and this is where the Secure Enclave would come in.

Do you need to have FaceID in order to use the passcode option?

Yes. If biometrics (Face ID or Touch ID) are built in to the device, they need to be set up to enable the Secure Enclave, even if you don't use Face ID or Touch ID to unlock 1Password – you must be able to unlock the device using Face ID or Touch ID for the Secure Enclave to be available.

I hope that helps! :)

— Grey

• benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @GreyM1P. That totally makes sense. Just frustrating, since I do use the iPod Touch daily. I don't suppose there's any chance of bringing a passcode that is specific to 1Password back to 1P8.

• GreyM1P
    Options

@benmattison

The iPod Touch was just about the last Apple device sold that didn't have biometrics and, as such, didn't have a Secure Enclave. This is one of those cases where we'll opt for security over convenience in a way that's pragmatic across the entire platform. We can now rely on there being a Secure Enclave in every iPhone and iPad that's supported, and they make up the majority of iOS devices that our customers use. Granted, that does mean that the iPod touch gets left out on the passcode unlock front, but everything else that doesn't rely on biometrics works the same.

• benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member
    Options

Yep, totally makes sense. I assume that when passkeys come to 1Password, they won't be supported in 1P7? As of now most of the differences between 1P7 and 1P8 are no big deal.

• benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member
    Options

Actually, that's a stupid question, since passkeys require biometrics, I believe.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@benmattison

Passkeys will be available in modern versions of 1Password including the 1Password 8 app and 1Password in the browser. 1Password 7 is no longer supported and will only receive important security updates going forward.

I hope that helps!

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.