"SSH authorization model was set incorrectly, dropping signature request" when signing git commit

Options
cpennington
cpennington
Community Member

I set up the SSH Agent, and added the config for signing git commits. However, when I actually commit, it fails with the error:

error: agent returned an error

fatal: failed to write commit object

Looking in the logs, that seems to correspond to a message like

ERROR 2023-04-14T13:49:50.092 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(7)) [1P:ssh/op-ssh-agent/src/lib.rs:583] SSH authorization model was set incorrectly, dropping signature request

I couldn't find any documentation that suggested a specific resolution for that error, any pointers?

1Password Version: 8.10.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:SSH authorization model was set incorrectly, dropping signature request

Comments

• jasonwaters
    jasonwaters
    Community Member
    Options

I'm in process of setting up a new M2 MacBook Pro and get the same exact error. I've been using 1password ssh agent just fine on my intel mac for some time now.

• jasonwaters
    jasonwaters
    Community Member
    Options

Error in the terminal when attempting to clone a git repo:

sign_and_send_pubkey: signing failed for RSA "personal ssh key" from agent: agent refused operation
    git@github.com: Permission denied (publickey).
    fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights
    and the repository exists.

Specific error in the log I'm seeing is:

ERROR 2023-04-14T18:21:18.270 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(12)) [1P:ssh/op-ssh-agent/src/lib.rs:583] SSH authorization model was set incorrectly, dropping signature request

But i can clone the same repo on my old intel-based mac just fine when using 1password SSH Agent 🤔

• JSRossie
    JSRossie
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same error after setting up the SSH agent on a new M2 Mac mini. It works on my M2 MacBook Pro.

Log Reads: ERROR 2023-04-15T21:55:54.833 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(8)) [1P:ssh/op-ssh-agent/src/lib.rs:583] SSH authorization model was set incorrectly, dropping signature request

This was using a SSH key locally to one of my servers.

• JSRossie
    JSRossie
    Community Member
    Options

So after a log out and log in the problem seemed to go away.

• deanx
    deanx
    Community Member
    Options

As with @cpennington, this worked for me: https://1password.community/discussion/139580/why-are-my-ssh-attempts-failing

"open the 1Password app and navigate to Settings -> Developer -> SSH Agent -> Security and change the "Ask approval for each new..." setting to some other value and then change it back to the setting you prefer?"

This discussion has been closed.