How to export a single vault

Options
LarryMcJ
LarryMcJ
Community Member

I have multiple vaults for multiple organizations I support. I have a need to export one (or maybe two) vaults to another password manager to comply with changes those organizations are making. The only option I see is either exporting all my vaults using the .1PUX format, or all vaults using .CSV format, which would export only the logins and no other categories. Neither of these options support exporting individual vaults.

Personally, I'm not moving away from 1Password, but there really needs to be a way to export a single vault, as there used to be in v7. Am I missing something...is there a way to do this with v8?

1Password Version: 8.9.15
Extension Version: 2.6.0
OS Version: macOS 13.1
Browser:_ Safari

ยซ1

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@LarryMcJ

1Password 8 cannot directly do this. All vaults in an member's account are exported. You could install v7 to directly export specific vaults into the 1PIF format, but of course that would not be as complete as a 1PUX export.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, MrC. I briefly thought about that but ultimately just did it manually. Looking back through the forum...I see this has been a much requested feature for a very long time.

• @LarryMcJ

As MrC said (thank you for responding!) 1Password 8 doesn't currently include the ability to export just one vault. I've passed along your request for such a feature to our product team. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

ref: PB-30924657

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, but it's since become a non-issue. I'm trying to just be happy with all the positive things with Electron and not focus on things that can't be done :-)

• @LarryMcJ

Thank you again for the feedback, it really helps the team make 1Password even better. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• lagreca
    lagreca
    Community Member
    Options

I too am looking to export a single vault. Please pass my feedback along as well.

• @lagreca

Thank you for the feedback, I've forwarded it to our product team. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

ref: PB-32673184

• Ivan_K
    Ivan_K
    Community Member
    Options

@LarryMcJ needed to do just the same now (export only one vault for one organisation) and not able to do this.

Add this feature please, 1Password team. Transferring 100+ entries manually would be a pain.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Ivan_K

Thank you for the feedback, I'm happy to pass along your request to the team. Out of curiosity, would inviting that organization to your 1Password account as a guest work for your use case? You'd be able to share a single vault with them at no additional cost: Share with guests in 1Password Families

-Dave

ref: PB-33087211

• Ivan_K
    Ivan_K
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P Dave, it is rather that the guys there want to use an open-source vault on their own hosted Nextcloud instance. Since it is only 1 person at a time using that database - it is not problem on my side to set things this way for them.

It is possible of course to do full 1PUX export, then import everything into KDBX database, then erase everything other than required vault but in such case - there is a big chance of recoverable traces remain.

Thus, it is would be much better if there is an option to export only concrete vault from 1Password - elegant solution and peace of mind pretty much guaranteed.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Ivan_K

Thank you for the detailed reply, I've passed that along to the product team as well. ๐Ÿ™‚

In the meantime, my colleague Tommy has previously described a workaround where you can use Travel Mode to export just a single vault. You can find more details here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/680337/#Comment_680337

-Dave

• Ivan_K
    Ivan_K
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P sweet! Thank you for the heads up on this!๐Ÿ‘

Looks like a solid workaround for sure - since this is not something that is needed often.

• Dave_1P
    Options

I'm happy to help. Thank you again for the feedback. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• 1Ryan
    1Ryan
    Community Member
    Options

Please add another person to the request for the ability to export a single vault. I've been using 1Password since I think version 4 and it feels like every version since then has removed critical functionality and usability. I'd still be on 4 if I haven't been forced to upgrade every step along the way.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@1Ryan

Thank you for adding your voice, I've passed your request along to the team as well. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

ref: PB-34236942

• ITMGR
    ITMGR
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue. Why did 1P decide to deprecate this useful feature? I have 1100 credentials and I only need a single vault of ~50. Preeeeeeetty frustrating.

• @ITMGR

Did you see the workaround that may help? https://1password.community/discussion/comment/680337/#Comment_680337 I apologize for the need to use it. I've let the team know you'd like to see an improvement in exporting abilities.

• ITMGR
    ITMGR
    Community Member
    Options

I appreciate the link and your response, but that's a pretty clunky workaround for what seems like basic functionality that was intentionally removed by your product team. Not your fault, just frustrating. I'd rather use the v7 workaround I think. Thank you!

• ag_tommy
    edited July 2023
    Options

@ITMGR

If you have something workable. Please use it if it fits your needs. Again, my apologies for the need to use one to begin with.

ref: PB-34464020

• mortonmanor
    mortonmanor
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

I've been using 1Password since v1 and I'd like to add a +1 to being able to export a single vault. I will look at the workaround elsewhere in this thread in the meantime.

• @mortonmanor

Thank you for adding your voice. In the meantime, I hope that the workaround helps.

-Dave

ref: 35158436

• stevenbrown
    stevenbrown
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sure there was a good reason to remove this fundamental function, but it does remove some of the shine from being able to distribute pw items over different vaults.

"Different vaults! Totally separate!"

"Great! I want to export this vault."

"Totally the same - the good news is you can easily export everything!"

:-|

Doesn't appear that added voices will restore this function, so since I can't code my own app, my recourse is to whine about it. Mission concludes.

• @stevenbrown

Thank you for the feedback, I'm happy to share it with the team. Can you tell me a little more about why you're trying to export a single vault so that I better understand your individual use case?

-Dave

• stevenbrown
    stevenbrown
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hi Dave, thanks. I have a subset (~30) of old logins for a prior hosting provider that have no value to me as authentication info, but have many other fields with info I want to retain.

First try: Select all, Export... [deprecated]

Second try: Select all, new vault, drag to new vault (my item selection was retained as I created a new vault, nice touch), Export vault as.... [nope].

It's my data. I just want it 'cuz I want it 'cuz it's mine. Maybe there's a new way to do it, I saw a workaround using "set 1pw to some more singular vault travel mode"; meh. Overhead cost too high.

Bordering on data lock-in due to inconvenience, which is why I bailed from Evernote to vanilla .md a decade ago.

Appreciate you guys, though, and glad you're around. I'm still here since '06; now on subscrip.

[License information removed. -Moderator]

• @stevenbrown

I removed your license information just in case since this is a public forum. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you for explaining your use case. I also have a lot of old items that I want to keep around since they contain information that might be useful in the future. Have you thought about archiving those items instead? The Archive is where I keep those items that need to be kept but that I don't want to see suggested in the browser or in my normal item list: Talking trash: Why we're introducing the Archive

That being said, I've passed along your request to the product team.

-Dave

ref: PB-36242686

• stevenbrown
    stevenbrown
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Re: Archive - I use it often. Doesn't fill my need for getting my data, but it is appreciated.

Re: New CSV Export fields - Q: Have you recently introduced a feature that exports more fields than just the login/password under the "Export..." function for the entire user account? I browsed the release notes but didn't find any mention of this.

Tried exporting to CSV, intending to export everything and then pick out the records I needed:

1. I chose "Export..." > "user", and saw a warning that it would only export login/password data.

CSV (Logins and Passwords only): A comma-separated values file (.csv) will export only your usernames and passwords in an unencrypted text file.

1. Not my first choice, but upon testing, looks like the export actually includes fields such as: Title, Url, Username, Password, OTPAuth, Favorite, Archived, Tags, and Notes.

Q: I'm still unsure if this is the entirety of the text. Is it safe to export and then delete the original items? I'll probably delay this until I can cross-check the exported data with the source.

As OP inquired:

The only export options I see are either using the .1PUX format for all my vaults or the .CSV format, which appears to only export the logins and no other categories. There's no feature for exporting individual vaults.

Might be a little much user work to get text from a secure text storage app.

Re feature req: CSV per item or selection of items, or at least entire vault would be reasonable data access. There has to be a subset to the whole dbase. My 1pw CSV export of my user as a single file (with temp vaults imported from browsers, and all the archives, indiv pw's, and every variation of all the pw records therein, since 2006) is over 5100 rows. There are dupes, but the dbase has been fairly well maintained.

• @stevenbrown

Thanks for the reply. The only way to fully export a complete copy of your items is by exporting items to a 1PUX file: How to export your data from the 1Password desktop app

The CSV file only contains a limited set of fields that includes the following:

• Title
    • Website
    • Username
    • Password
    • One-time password
    • Favorite status
    • Archived status
    • Tags
    • Notes

The CSV file will also only include Login and Password items. It won't include other items like Secure Notes, Identities, Documents, etc... If you need an export of every type of item and all of the fields in those items then you need to export to 1PUX.

Re feature req: CSV per item or selection of items, or at least entire vault would be reasonable data access.

Thank you for the feedback, I've passed it along to the team. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• stevenbrown
    stevenbrown
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, appreciate the info!

• It's my pleasure, thank you again for the feedback. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• AlexLA
    AlexLA
    Community Member
    Options

I have tested a method for exporting one or several vaults and can recommend it.

Firstly, the .1pux file is an archive. Although this topic is related to the MAC branch, I am confident that you can open this file by clicking, just as I did on Linux.

You need the export.data file from it, which is in JSON format. Extract it and edit it with your favorite editor (I used VSCode).

You may delete or keep any number of dictionary-type items inside the "vaults" list.

Put the edited file back into the archive and use it for import.

Ta-da!