[Bug?] - Wrong password history of a recent changed password

Options
jefoso
jefoso
Community Member

I've just changed a password and I was afraid that the site couldn't accept (password requirements) the new one generated by 1Pass and copied the previous password, just in case....

All worked but I got curious if I could see the previous password and realized that there was an history feature and I clicked on it to check and it **wasn't showing the correct previous password, it was showing the new one that was recently created. **

Looking at another password that has been changed some weeks ago, I could see the correct history.
I tried to quit and open up the app again and it didn't work.
Didn't restart the computer.

It's not something that really bothers me but it'd be useful to have it working properly now that I know it exists.

Thanks

1Password Version: 8.10.5
Extension Version: 2.10.0
OS Version: Windows 11 Version 22H2( build 22621.1635)
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @jefoso! It sounds as if you're running into a known issue at the moment, where updating an item that doesn't yet have a password history will add the new password to the history, instead of the original password. I've added your case to the list of affected users for our team to see. Thanks for taking the time to report this to us!

ref: dev/core/core#21484

If you notice this issue occurring with any other items, and you'd like to be able to retrieve the original password, you can use the item history feature on 1Password.com. I'll provide the steps for this below:

1. Click the following link, and sign in to your account: 1Password.com
    2. Locate the relevant item in your vault.
    3. Click View Item History at the bottom of the item's details.
    4. Look through any previous versions of the item for the original password.

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions or concerns, let us know! 😄

• jasonpursell
    jasonpursell
    Community Member
    Options

This issue seems to still be happening. Any idea when it will get fixed?

• shhh
    shhh
    Community Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

I just noticed this happens for me too. Please fix this.

Look through any previous versions of the item for the original password - This is not really useful when using randomly generated passwords because all of them look like gibberish (as they should) so identifying the original password is not easy.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @jasonpursell and @shhh, thanks for letting us know that you're experiencing this issue as well - I've added you both to the list of affected users.

While I can't provide a specific timeline for a fix for this issue, our developers have been working to get this resolved as soon as possible, and you can keep an eye on our release notes page for news: 1Password Releases

If you have any further questions or concerns, let me know! 😄

• Olympian
    Olympian
    Community Member
    Options

This is happening to me too - password history not correct (Firefox).

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @Olympian, I'm sorry to hear you've run into an issue with the password history as well. To confirm, are you seeing the same behaviour as the other reports, where changing the password for an item with no existing password history, puts the new password into history, instead of the original password?

I look forward to hearing from you!

• Olympian
    Olympian
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, the same. The current Firefox version unfortunately no longer allows a custom password to be generated (ie with no special characters) so if a generated password is rejected by a site the rejected password is still saved by 1P and the previous password is no longer visible.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @Olympian, thanks for confirming this for me! I've added you to the list of affected users. Although I'm not currently able to provide a specific timeline as yet, the good news is that our development team have created a fix for this issue, which should be included in a future update.

In the meantime, you can use the steps provided further up in this thread to retrieve the original password from the item's history on 1Password.com.

If you have any further questions or concerns, let me know 😄

This discussion has been closed.