not able to get yubikey to work on iphone

Options
tonia22
tonia22
Community Member
edited May 2023 in iOS

I purchased a 5CI yubikey for my 1password account on my iphone but it won't work. this phrase comes up: "no credentials found on security key" . is that a problem with the yubikey or 1password? I have been able to get on the iphone 1password account without the yubikey but I don't understand that either. No sure what to do next/

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: 2.1
OS Version: windows 10
Browser:_ firfox

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @tonia22! 👋

You'll only be prompted for your YubiKey the first time that you add your account to a new device or browser, after that you'll only need your account password to unlock 1Password on that device. So that I can better understand the situation can you tell me the following:

1. Have you already registered the YubiKey with your 1Password account: Use your security key as a second factor for your 1Password account
    2. Are you able to use the YubiKey when you log in to your 1Password account on 1Password.com (in the browser, not the app)?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• tonia22
    tonia22
    Community Member
    Options

Dave, I understand about that I only need to use it once on a device. i was told that when I was confused about not being asked each time to touch the yubikey. I used an older nano key that I used with dashlane. I purchased a second Yubikey, 5CI for the iphone. I am able to get on to 1password on the phone without the yubikey. But when I sign on, it does says "choose how you would like to sign on to 1password" and offers the choice of a passkey or a security key. When I check security key, and press continue, it says "use security key", and underneath that it says "no credentials for 1 password on this security key". I am very confused and not sure what to do. I don't need to use the it with 1password.com. I seem to have the password saved in 1password on the browser. Maybe that is not safe to have it there.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@tonia22

Thank you for the reply. Before you can use your security key to authenticate 1Password on your iPhone you'll need to register it using 1Password.com, have you done that already? If you haven't then can you follow the steps in this guide: Use your security key as a second factor for your 1Password account

If you have registered it already then let me know. 🙂

-Dave

• tonia22
    tonia22
    Community Member
    Options

Dave, I can't register the yubikey 5CI because there is no lightening port or USB_C port on my PC. Can i go on to 1password.com on my iphone and register the yubikey there.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@tonia22

If you haven't registered the security key with your 1Password account than that explains why you're seeing a message that there are no credentials on the security key. To add the appropriate credentials you need to first register the security key using 1Password.com

You should be able to use the Safari browser on your iPhone to register the security using the steps in the article that I posted above: Use your security key as a second factor for your 1Password account

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.