MFA - Is it possible to set up the MFA in more than 1 device for the master account?

Options
Vanzito
Vanzito
Community Member

Hello Dear,

I hope you are well!

In the company I work for we are making sure our master account is really protected and, at the same time, it will be available when needed.

We are willing to implement a process in which we will have 2 pairs of custodians for the master account. Two people will have access to the first part of the password and other two to the second part.

My question is, is it possible to set up the MFA (authenticator) for the master account in more than 1 device? If so, how can I do that?

Thanks!

Ivan

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:mfa

Comments

• ag_max
    Options

Hi @Vanzito,

My question is, is it possible to set up the MFA (authenticator) for the master account in more than 1 device? If so, how can I do that?

Absolutely. You'll be able to save the 1Password two-factor authentication QR code or secret using multiple authenticator apps on your devices. Just to note, if you've already set up two-factor authentication for your account, there isn't a way to view your two-factor authentication QR code after you enabled it for your 1Password account. what you can do is replace your third-party authenticator app and save the two-factor authentication secret (16-character code) provided by 1Password. This will allow you to manually enter it in any additional authenticator apps on your devices.

Here are the steps:

1. Sign in to your account in an authorized browser.
    2. Click your name in the top right and choose My Profile.
    3. On the left side of your profile page, click More Actions > Manage Two-Factor authentication.
    4. Click Replace and follow the onscreen instructions.
    5. When you get the screen showing your QR code, write down the 16-character secret present there.
    6. Delete your 1Password entry in your existing authenticator app on your phone and scan the new QR code.
    7. Enter the generated six-digit authentication code provided by your authenticator app when 1Password asks you.
    8. Later, set up your second authenticator app and enter the 16-character code you wrote down earlier (or share it with your colleague). This second device will now generate authentication codes for your 1Password account.
  • Vanzito
    Vanzito
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much @ag_max !

• ag_max
    Options

You're very welcome, Vanzito. Feel free to contact us again if we can be of any help.

This discussion has been closed.