How to export selected entries in 1Password 8?

Options

Comments

• lordsimal
    lordsimal
    Community Member
    Options

So much yes! This is very much needed since 1Password provides separate private and company vaults out of the box.
    How would I export/move just my private vault if for some reason I wouldn't be at my current company any more and I don't want to stay at 1Password?

• @AIT404

Can you tell me a little more about why clients request an export of a vault? Are these external clients of yours or part of the same organization as you? Have you considered sharing the vaults with them using a guest account: Share with guests in your team

@lordsimal

I don't recommend using your work account to store your personal items. You should have one account managed by your workplace for your work items and a second account for your personal items. If your workplace uses 1Password Business then you can claim your free 1Password Families membership by using this guide: Get a free 1Password Families membership when you use 1Password Business

If that doesn't work for you then tell me a little more about your situation so that I understand better. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• AIT404
    AIT404
    Community Member
    Options

We generally create an account for all of our clients so they can access the same passwords we have for them.
    However, if a client is moving to another provider or just needs an output of all of their passwords, rather than having to share the vault and create them an account, etc. We would like to just export their vault contents.

I got around this yesterday by just uninstalling 1Password 8, installing 1Password 7 and exporting, then going back to 1Password 8.
    The ability to export as txt file is so much better than the spreadsheet too - much more readable for the client,

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2023
    Options

@AIT404 @adrianw et al.

There is a potential workaround, assuming you are looking to export ALL data within a single vault. Enable travel mode and select only the vault you wish to export to remain on the device. Export, then disable travel mode putting all of your vaults back on the device(s). I've seen this mentioned in passing. I'm afraid I have never tried it personally. Please let me know if it works for you.

edit: I just tried this and it seems to be useable. See screenshots below.

✈️ Use Travel Mode to remove vaults from your devices when you travel

-- As this is a workaround please be sure only the intended data is exported.

⚠️ * Exported data files are not encrypted. They are stored in plain text. Anyone with access to your exported data files will be able to read your passwords. Do not email exported data files or store them online. Delete them when you are done with them. The safest location for such data is within 1Password.

All Vaults on device.

Only my test vault to be exported.

Edit 2: Reduce image size

• Apologies for the large images folks. I've retaken and reduced them twice now but they continue to come through large size. 😞

• lordsimal
    lordsimal
    Community Member
    Options

My confusion with the "Private" Vault was the fact, that "Private" inside the Company's account means "non shared, company adjacent passwords".

I expected that "Private" means - well - private, personal Passwords which are not company adjacent. So its a wording thing that could be improved.

But your travel mode "hack" did indeed work and I was able to just export the entries inside my "Private" vault.

• tibbo
    tibbo
    Community Member
    edited March 2023
    Options

the current export feature in 1Password 8 allows you to export by account, but not (yet) selected entries.

@PeterG_1P @Dave_1P This isn't the case for me. 1Password 8 will only export ALL accounts, it doesn't export only the account specified

• @lordsimal

Private means that only you can see the items that you save to that vault. The Private vault can't be viewed by other people in your company nor can it be shared with others. However, a Private vault that is part of your work account is still part of your work account. Your employer can delete your work account or revoke your access to it whenever they wish since they own it, not you. It's why I recommend having a separate personal account that you own and control to store your personal items.

That being said, I'm happy that Tommy's workaround helped. πŸ™‚

@tibbo

By "export by account" Peter means that you can export items in one 1Password account but not in another. Do you have multiple 1Password accounts? If you do then do you see them all listed separately when you select File > Export?

-Dave

• tibbo
    tibbo
    Community Member
    Options

Yes I have multiple 1Password accounts, that are listed separately when I select File > Export. Clicking on one of them exports ALL credentials from ALL accounts, not just the selected account

• @tibbo

That doesn't sound right. So that I can investigate further, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• tibbo
    tibbo
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Dave_1P my Support ticket number is 121090

• @tibbo

Thank you for posting the Support ID. I've located your ticket and one of my colleagues will send you an email as soon as possible. Please continue the conversation there. πŸ™‚

-Dave

ref: ZD-121090

• mikeghopkins
    mikeghopkins
    Community Member
    Options

Hi - Just want to add my vote for this feature. I also am on the board of a non-profit and have a separate vault for those passwords. We don't have policy that everyone uses 1Password (pushback from some who use a different product), so I need to export just the one vault to hand off to others. Would be a time-saver to have more granularity over exports.

• @mikeghopkins

Would the proposed workaround mentioned here work for you? https://1password.community/discussion/comment/680337/#Comment_680337

• mikeghopkins
    mikeghopkins
    Community Member
    Options

Hi ag_tommy - I will give it a try.

• Sounds good. Let me know how it goes.

• shooboot
    shooboot
    Community Member
    Options

Another vote here. Thanks.

• @shooboot

Thank you for the request! Can you tell me a little more about your use case for exporting selected entries? It would help our product team better understand why this feature is important to you. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• shooboot
    shooboot
    Community Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

I work in IT Managed Services. We keep a vault for each client. Recently, a client left us and asked for the passwords to all of their stuff - firewalls, switches, domain registrar, Windows domain admin, everything. To my dismay, the most obvious solution is not a possibility in the current 1Password release. It seems completely reasonable to expect that I should be able to export just the contents of one single vault. I can see other situations where further granular exportability would be helpful.

• @shooboot

Thank you for the details, I've forwarded your comments and use case to the product team. πŸ™‚

-Dave

ref: PB-32408594

• binarynomad
    binarynomad
    Community Member
    Options

I want to add my +1 to the vote for (selected item) or (vault specific) exports.

USE CASES: I am an IT Consultant and separate each of my clients secrets to their own vaults. If I stop working for any client, or they want to go to a password manager that is not 1Password, it is very hard for me to migrate their data without exporting ALL my clients and personal passwords. Even at a personal/family level, if I have been helping a family member with their accounts, I want to select all of the relevant ones and export them so they can use them in their own personal 1PW account (no team access/separate family account, so I cannot move the items from within 1PW)

• Dave_1P
    Options

@binarynomad

Thank you for the feedback, I've passed your suggestion along to the product team. πŸ™‚

For now, it sounds like using a guest account for your clients and family members would be the best option:

-Dave

ref: PB-33114363

• binarynomad
    binarynomad
    Community Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P , thanks for the suggestion but I'm confused. I mentioned I only have a personal license since I'm a sole proprietor, and I don't think that allows for Guest accounts for my clients. (and some of the family members in question I got setup with 1PW have fully used their 5 licenses husband/wife/son/2x daughters)

Plus in some cases, when I no longer engage with a client, I'm contractually obligated to export and provide them all secrets / access codes and no longer retain them.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@binarynomad

If you have an individual account currently then you would need to upgrade to a 1Password Families membership to invite others as a guest. In addition to the five included family members, each 1Password Families membership also includes 5 guests. You can invite more guests for an additional cost as needed.

For business use with your clients, I would recommend looking at either 1Password Teams or Business. If you're interested, you can reach out to our business team at business@1password.com to discuss this in more detail.

That all being said, I've passed along your request for a way to export a selected list of items to the team. In the meantime, my colleague Tommy has previously described a workaround where you can use Travel Mode to export just a single vault. You can find more details here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/680337/#Comment_680337

I hope that helps! πŸ™‚

-Dave

• binarynomad
    binarynomad
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, the Travel Mode hack worked PERFECTLY! I'll use this until similar functionality is built into 1PW. I appreciate the help.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@binarynomad

I'm glad to hear that the suggestion helped. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• cp2352432
    cp2352432
    Community Member
    Options

Crazy that this is still not available... we need this capability to export individual vaults as a critical part of our workflow... does not seem to be a priority for 1password... we may need to look at going to a different password manager.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@cp2352432

Thank you for the feedback. Have you seen the suggestion that my colleague Tommy posted earlier in the thread: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/680337/#Comment_680337

Are you regularly needing to export just a single vault? Can you tell me more about your use case for such a feature? I would be happy to pass along your feedback to our Product team. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• r3r344r4
    r3r344r4
    Community Member
    Options

Another vote for exporting selected entries. I onboard many employees at my workplace. We have some credentials that I need to store in my 1Password before they onboard, that I then export and transfer to them. Given the number of vaults I manage, the travel mode hack is too painful as a workaround.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@r3r344r4

Thank you for the feedback. Have you considered using secure item sharing to send credentials to your employees? This would prevent you from having to export items into plain text and would keep the shared items protected by 1Password's security: Securely share 1Password items with anyone

On their end, your employees would be able to add the credentials to their private vault with a click of a button. Let me know if that would work for you. πŸ™‚

-Dave