Option to change search behaviour and automatically "show all matching items" vs just show one

Options
CamBfromOz
CamBfromOz
Community Member
edited May 2023 in Windows

tldr: make search behaviour consistent to 'filter entries down to only matches' (ie, fix windows/macos app to behave same as everything else), or make a setting for that.

First off, I love 1password and this is a minor irritation that i keep having and it is not a show stopper.

(macos/windows program only. Everything else seems to work 'correctly')

I keep typing my search terms and hitting enter, which i think is a pretty standard behaviour but i forget to click "show all matching items" (from the drop down) or ctrl-enter instead.

My brain is wired for a search to filter down the list of results to those that match (the 'alternative' behaviour from the search dropdown), not jump to the first one (current default behaviour).

I would argue that if I search for "bank" then i probably want to see a filtered list of all the bank accounts and not just one highlighted amongst a whole swag of non matching results with no indication of what other matches there are. I mean you could 'bubble' the matching entries to the top of the list but that brings us back to the question of why are non matching entries still being displayed after a search.

Would it be possible to have a setting option to enable "just show all matching search results"? Or more clearly a search setting option with a 'jump to first match' or 'filter list to just matches'.

This behaviour is already inconsistent between your apps/extensions (all 8.10.6):
* 'filters list down by default': android app, macos chrome extension, windows chrome extension, quick access
* 'picks one entry only by default': macos app, windows app

It seems to me that the 'pick one only' is a left over behaviour in the windows/macos apps and everything else seems to use the 'filter down' approach.

Clearly there is an unresolved UI difference that should probably be unified. If lots of people are tied to the existing 'just show a single match in a sea of non matches' (obviously wrong, haha) approach you could make it a setting. Or you could pick the 'one blessed correct and unquestionable right way (tm)' as default for all platforms. Hehehe.

Also it would be nice if '[escape]' cleared the "xxx results for 'bank'" filter to allow for better keyboard only control.

thanks for your time.
cam

1Password Version: 8.10.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: all (split behaviour)
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @CamBfromOz, thanks so much for taking the time to reach out with such detailed feedback!

I can absolutely understand how being able to set Show all matching items as the default search behaviour would make things a lot more streamlined, as well as having the ability to hit escape to clear the current x results for "search term" filter.

I've gone ahead and filed a feature request with our product team on your behalf, including all of the details you've provided here. While I can't make any promises as to if or when these types of changes will be made to 1Password, you can keep an eye on upcoming changes and new features on our release notes page: 1Password Releases

If you have any further questions or concerns, let me know 😄

ref: 33134246

• CamBfromOz
    CamBfromOz
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the prompt reply!

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @CamBfromOz, you're very welcome! Don't hesitate to reach back out if there's anything else we can help with 😄

This discussion has been closed.