To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Can 1Password ever lose my data?

vrb57272
vrb57272
Community Member
edited May 2023 in Memberships

Is our data backed up? How can we guarantee we can access it in the future if 1Password loses the data or goes out of business? In what scenario is it not safe to store so much info in one place with no redundancies? I'm comfortable with the security model but got to thinking about data loss instead. Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @vrb57272,

While I have every confidence this isn't something we'll be up against in the future, no one can see the future - if such a thing were to happen, with the 1Password applications, in addition to the server, the applications contain an offline cache of your data so you can continue using 1Password if/when you're offline. It was primarily designed this way for reliability and performance reasons, but a nice bonus is that in doing so, the 1Password applications already provide local backups of your data. The only type of item that isn't included are Documents, which need to be downloaded on-demand

If you were to disconnect from the internet, or block 1Password in your firewall, and you can see for yourself how it operates without a connection to us. That said, it would be inadvisable to continue to use the software indefinitely if we were gone. Obviously updates would stop, and as such there would eventually be some new OS or architecture that would prevent things from working further. Long before that point you'd want to have exported your data and moved to another solution.

I hope that helps!

• vrb57272
    vrb57272
    Community Member

Also, is there any way to sort our database by items that include Documents?

• vrb57272
    vrb57272
    Community Member

Thanks. So putting aside the drastic scenario of 1Password ceasing to exist (I too hope this never happens as you're one my favorite products!), how is our data backed up? Perhaps a rudimentary question, but I'm curious about what happens if something gets corrupted or there's some glitch at a data center somewhere?

• vrb57272
    vrb57272
    Community Member

Hello! Just following up on my most recent question. Thank you!

• Hi @vrb57272

You can search "Documents" within the search bar which will bring up only document items as well as sort via the Document category, additionally, if you know the file type you are also able to search via the file type such as .doc, .pdf, .jpg, etc.

By default, we take several steps on the server to make recovery possible, when needed. We have version control for each item so you can restore previous versions of items if anything happens to it. In addition, we perform full database backups, from which we can restore in cases of emergency.

With the 1Password applications, in addition to the server, the applications contain an offline cache of your data so you can continue using 1Password if/when you're offline. It was primarily designed this way for reliability and performance reasons, but a nice bonus is that in doing so, the 1Password applications already provide local backups of your data. The only type of item that isn't included are Documents, which need to be downloaded on-demand.

We haven’t publicly documented the exact restore process if we ever needed to recover data on 1Password.com, but you can imagine it to be something similar to item history, just more complicated and with more security checks in regards of who can restore data.
    On how we create those backups on our backup servers that is more complicated.

There’s more details here on our servers: https://blog.1password.com/terraforming-1password/

• vrb57272
    vrb57272
    Community Member

Thank you!

• @vrb57272,
    Happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.