Disable biometric authentication (siri) shortcut action

Options
AttoA
AttoA
Community Member
edited May 2023 in iOS

It would be great to have a (siri) shortcut action that, when run, causes 1Password to disable biometrics as a method to unlock your vaults until your next unlock (i.e. requires you to use your master password/security key/(eventually) passkey for the next unlock).

Even better, it would be wonderful if this could also 'sync' to your other connected devices, meaning biometrics are disabled on all of your devices (well, at least the ones that are connected to the internet) until you unlock each one without biometrics.

Would this be feasible? Thanks!

1Password Version: 8.10.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 16.4.1 (a)
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Require master password shortcut action

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @AttoA! 👋

Thank you for the suggestion! Can you tell me a little more about the threat model that you're trying to protect against with such a feature? If Face ID or Touch ID unlock is enabled then only you're able to unlock 1Password using your face or fingerprint, no one else can. You can read more about how we secure biometric unlock here:

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• AttoA
    AttoA
    Community Member
    Options

As far as I am aware (I am no lawyer), keeping your passcode/word secret is covered under the (US) 5th Amendment, whereas refusing use of your biometrics is not so covered.

If 1Password contains all your passwords, then having your biometrics able to unlock your vault would expose all your data. Preventing this would secure your data (from a legal standpoint).

• Dave_1P
    Options

@AttoA

Thank you for the reply. I'm not a lawyer either so I can't comment about whether using a password will offer better protection from legal searches by the authorities over biometric unlock. I also live in Canada and the laws surrounding this may be very different in our respective countries.

If you press the power button on your iOS device 5 times that will disable biometric unlock for that device and force you to enter your PIN code the next time that you try to unlock the iPhone or iPad. Is that something that would fit your threat model?

That being said, I've filed a feature request on your behalf with our product team. While I can't promise anything, the team will consider your request for the future. Thank you for the feedback!

-Dave

ref: PB-33137122

This discussion has been closed.