Is there a means of staying logged when my browser is closed as it did in LassPass?

Options

My hand is partially disabled and i need to avoid unnecessary entering PW and clicking. LassPass did not require login every time I opened my browser.

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: 2.5.1
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser:_ Chrome
Referrer: forum-search:Is there a means of staying logged in when browser is closed?

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

Hi @Kgagnier !

If you use the desktop app together with the browser extension, you could disable auto-locking. As long as the desktop app is unlocked, the browser extension also stays unlocked, no matter if you close the browser or not.

In the desktop app, you should enable connection to the browser extension.

Also in the browser extension, you have to enable this setting.

• Kgagnier
    Kgagnier
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, but my settings show; general, security, watchtower, shortcuts, autofill, etc, but not Browser.
    Browser extension layout is different from your clip. I did find the option to change "automatically lock 1password" to off, but that didn't change anything. I would provide screenshot, cut/paste does not work on this messaging platform.

• Hey @Kgagnier,

Thank you for contacting us.

It seems like you've found the 1Password extension settings. The first screenshot that @DenalB posted is from the 1Password desktop app. The 1Password extension will always lock when you quit your browser. We recommend installing the 1Password desktop app to work alongside the extension, and to control the Auto-lock settings from there.

Here's a link to get the 1Password desktop app installed -> https://1password.com/downloads/windows/.

If the 1Password desktop app is installed, the Auto-lock settings are shared with the extension by default. Here's how to check the settings on both:

• On the 1Password desktop app:
    1. Open the 1Password desktop app.
    2. Click your account at the top of the sidebar and choose Settings > Security.
    3. Under Auto-lock, you can set the preferred duration.
    4. Under Browser, ensure that "Connect with 1Password in the browser" is checked.
    • On the 1Password extension:
    1. Open your browser.
    2. Right-click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar and select "Settings".
    3. Under General, ensure "Integrate with 1Password app" is checked.

After you've signed in and unlocked the 1Password desktop app, when the browser is relaunched, the extension should be unlocked.

Let us know how things go, @Kgagnier.

• phsshp
    phsshp
    Community Member
    Options

Here is a more convoluted example. I could use your help figuring out a solution.

1. I have a laptop with only 16GB memory. Yes, I have whined to my employer...
    2. Windows can't page worth a darn, so everything hangs at 13 GB usage.
    3. I have 5 customers, each with their own SSO and Teams.
    4. I have 5 Microsoft Edge Profiles, one per SSO and Teams.
    5. Because of memory limitations, I constantly close and reopen Edge profiles.
    6. Each time I reopen a profile, I have to log back in to 1Password.
    7. Note that the Microsoft SSO is still valid after closing/reopening a profile.
    8. My company uses Cylance Protect.
    9. Cylance Protect terminates the 1Password 8 desktop app, labeling it an "Exploit."

I will see if I can resolve the Cylance Protect issue. But I don't think this will help, since my "normal" profile (the one with the same SSO as my logged in Microsoft User account) also locks 1Password on every restart.

This laptop is locked down six ways from Sunday and will self-destruct before letting someone else in. And they would have to break into my house within 10 minutes of me walking away from it. I am perfectly comfortable leaving 1Password logged in. As noted above, LastPass would allow this, but 1Password does not. Is there a secret, "I have other security and I absolve 1Password of responsibility," setting I can use to prevent the constant login prompts?

• Hey @phsshp,

Thank you for proving this detail.

I think you may be right in that Cyclone Protect could be playing a part in this, however, I think it would be good if we could take a closer look. Can you grab some logs from your normal profile which you would expect to work as well as a diagnostics report? Here's how:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• phsshp
    phsshp
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Steph. I can't even launch the app because of Cylance PROTECT. The 1password8.exe does not execute. Cylance squashes it first.

If I leave the desktop app installed, then the Microsoft Edge Extension asks me to log in every time. I take this as a good sign. I think that, when communication with the desktop app fails, the extension gets confused.

You might want to have the extension check the status of its launch attempt and/or IPC, and either ignore the failure of the desktop app or pop up a warning message.

I am communicating with my company's Cylance support service to try to get an exclusion in place. First attempt failed, but I'll keep pushing. I will update when I get Cylance off your back.

• phsshp
    phsshp
    Community Member
    Options

Following up: I got an exclusion from Cylance so that 1Password 8 could run on my Windows desktop. With it running, I don't need to log in when I restart a browser profile. Thank you! This is exactly what I hoped for! Another happy camper.

You might save some customers confusion by notifying them somehow if 1Password.exe is present but cannot run.

• Thank you for the detailed update @phsshp, I'm glad to hear things are back on track.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all and have a wonderful weekend.

This discussion has been closed.