what is the order of suggested passwords

Options
allentownsend
allentownsend
Community Member
edited May 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I am still trying to understand 1password.

I have created and saved a login with a 1password multiple times for a particular site. Part of the reason is that when I try to login to this site with 1password, it suggests using 1password and gives me a list of choices to select from. I select the top one in the list. It fills in the login and password and then I get a message that the login doesn't work. I then try the second suggestion in the list. Sometimes this works, sometimes not. After three tries, I say that I forgot my password and create a new one and save it in 1password. (Which is why I have a long list of passwords for this site.) When i try to test the new login by logging in again and using the top suggestion, frequently it doesn't work. I expect the most recently created login to be top on the list, but it doesn't appear to be true. What is the order of the list?

A variation of this is that sometimes I see in the list of login suggestions the first one in the list has a dashed line where I would expect to see a login id. I interpret this as it has a password, but the associated login is blank or not stored. If I try to use it as is, it doesn't work. If I try to add the login id on the website and use 1password for the associated password it usually doesn't work. What is happening and why is this in my list of logins if it does not work?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Allen

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows 11
Browser:_ edge
Referrer: forum-search:what is the order of suggested passwords

Comments

• moon333
    moon333
    Community Member
    Options

:+1

I hope the feature: order by frequency.

• Hey @allentownsend,

I'm so sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Are you experiencing this behaviour on a particular website?

It sounds like in this scenario it would be a good idea to have a bit of a tidy up. Are you able to locate the login for this website that is the correct one that works? If yes, I recommend editing it and make the title something obvious that you can differentiate from the other items you have saved.

You can then go through the other items and delete them using the below steps:

1. Click on the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and enter your password if necessary.
    2. Locate the item you would like to delete and click on it in the left hand panel
    3. In the right hand corner click on the vertical 3 dots and then scroll down and choose Delete.

Once you are left with the one remaining item that works can you let me know if you are still running into issues?

Currently items are displayed in alphabetical order with favorites appearing at the top of the item list. I have put in a request with our product team to also be able to sort suggestions by most used. Thank you for your feedback @moon333.

ref: PB33156057

This discussion has been closed.