Login via 1password.com, but not Mac App?

Options
petro
petro
Community Member

So I had to reformat my Mac, and in trying to setup 1password again, I can successfully login on the website and get to my vaults, but when trying to login on the native Mac client (1Password for Mac 8.10.7, but I also tried the GA release) it times out each time with the generic "maybe there's a typo" error. I've tried copy-pasting the secret key and password, I've tried the "send a link" option from my iPhone, and I've tried manually typing all the values. No luck! Any ideas why just the native Mac client isn't letting me in? Could there be some kind of account block tied to which client is being used, since I've failed so many times? There's no known outages, and 1password.com works fine, so I'm stuck!

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 13.3.1
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• petro
    petro
    Community Member
    Options

Also I've got MFA tied to a hardware token if that makes a difference. The website successfully authed with the yubikey, but I don't get that far with the Mac app.

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @petro! 👋

I'm sorry that you're having trouble adding your account to the 1Password for Mac app. Can you try this alternate method to add your account:

1. In your browser, sign in to your account on 1Password.com.
    2. Click your name in the top right and choose Get the Apps.
    3. Click "Add your account directly" and allow your browser to open 1Password. You'll see your account details in the app.
    4. Enter your 1Password account password and click Sign In.

If that still doesn't work then I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• petro
    petro
    Community Member
    Options

Support ID: [#ZBE-17971-112]

• petro
    petro
    Community Member
    Options

Problem solved! I disabled IPv6 on my Mac, forced it to use IPv4. Guessed this based on this diagnostics log entry:

81007001\nERROR 2023-05-17T17:13:41.397 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(3)) [1P:op-app/src/app/backend/signin.rs:547] error signing in from data layer: UnableToCreateClient(HttpError((/rustc/84c898d65adf2f39a5a98507f1fe0ce10a2b8dbc/library/core/src/ops/function.rs:250, IoError(IoError(error sending request for url (): error trying to connect: operation timed out)))))\nERROR 2023-05-17T17:13:41.398 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(3))

Now I just need to figure out why my IPv6 connectivity is b0rked!

• Dave_1P
    Options

@petro

I'm happy that you were able to narrow down the issue. If other apps on your Mac work with IPv6 but 1Password 8 doesn't then the team would be interested in digging deeper. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• petro
    petro
    Community Member
    Options

It wasn't 1Password-specific, nor Mac-specific. Short explanation: my Mac still had a valid IPv6 address, but an upstream router didn't have IPv6 properly configured, so 1password was attempting to send https traffic via IPv6 and the traffic was being dropped part of the way on the path. I'm guessing my other Mac apps were either:

1) not trying ipv6 at all, or
    2) trying ipv6 then failing over to ipv4

That said, I'm sure there could be the same kind of improvement in 1password, but also this is such an edge case that I wouldn't bother developing a solution if it were my engineering team!

• GreyM1P
    Options

@petro

Thanks for the update. We'll be here if you need anything. :)

This discussion has been closed.