Way to find duplicates and prefer a certain vaults entry if found?

bschneider
bschneider
Community Member

Hello!

So I was using 1P for ages, and decided to try Apple's Keychain, which was fine for a while. But I missed 1P ;) and now after importing my Keychain back into 1P I'm left with what's essentially 90% of the same logins just in 2 vaults. Since I used Keychain, some sites have drifted, some are new and most are identical. But 1P has a lot of other entries that are just passwords that were never imported into Keychain, so it's not quite as easy as just nuking the original vault.

So my ask is this:
1. Is there a way to diff two vaults and merge entries? Like a git diff view so I can see what's different and merge them into one entry in one vault.
2. If not, is there a way to list duplicates or have 1P prefer any duplicates in X vault over Y vault?

1Password Version: 8.10.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13.3.1
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @bschneider! πŸ‘‹

Welcome back to 1Password! 1Password doesn't currently have a feature to automatically go through a list of items and detect or merge duplicate/similar items, this will need to be done manually. Since your items are in two different vaults I would recommend the following process:

1. Treat the vault that contains the items that you imported from Keychain as the "source of truth" since it sounds like that vault will have the most updated and correct items.
    2. Go through all of the items in the old vault one-by-one comparing them to the equivalent item in the new vault. Edit and update the item in the imported vault so that it contains the latest information and everything that you need to keep.
    3. Once you're sure that the item in the imported vault is complete and accurate, delete the item in the old vault.

I know that this isn't the most elegant process but hopefully you only have to do it once and then you'll have a complete and correct set of your items going forward.

Let me know if you have any questions. πŸ™‚

-Dave

ref: PB-33117738

• bschneider
    bschneider
    Community Member

@Dave_1P I was afraid you were going to say that πŸ˜‚ I have 751 items which makes this quite undesirable lol. I suppose you can treat this as a feature request, though admittedly this is likely more of an edge case.

• @bschneider

I can definitely see how a tool to help navigate your situation and merge items would be useful and I've filed a feature request on your behalf with our product team.

I know that it doesn't help here but for the future I would try to move everything from one password manager to another so that you're not working with two concurrent sets of data that, as you said, will drift apart over time. I'm sorry that I don't have a better solution for you, hopefully this is a use case that we can address more effectively in the future.

-Dave

ref: PB-33117738

• bschneider
    bschneider
    Community Member

@Dave_1P

I appreciate it! Honestly I left the data in 1Password as a lot of things didn't have a website or username attached like passwords not logins (god knows how old those may or not be) with a solid chance they're a one off service I rarely need to login to for development. A lot of legacy from many years ago with LastPass too. I won't claim my vault is 100% hygienic, but Apple's Keychain actually doesn't import those kinds of passwords, so there were around 300 or so that didn't make the cut. Way too many to manually verify.

I think in the future a tool like that would be helpful, or massaging the exported csv to have even those be importable in an Apple Keychain friendly way for those looking to nuke and pave one way or the other.

Though again, I can appreciate this is a lower priority simply because you want people to stay on the service! I was just curious if I could simplify my costs, and it turned out, no 😁

• @bschneider

I think in the future a tool like that would be helpful, or massaging the exported csv to have even those be importable in an Apple Keychain friendly way for those looking to nuke and pave one way or the other.

1Password does write password-only items to the exported CSV file but it looks like Keychain skips those sorts of items when importing. This sounds like a feature request to send to Apple to request that they support the import of these types of items, it looks like Keychain requires both a username and website URL even when creating a new item inside of its user interface.

As far as I can tell, the only thing that 1Password could do here is add a fake URL and username to password-only items in the CSV file so that Keychain can import them and that doesn't feel like a good option.

-Dave

• bschneider
    bschneider
    Community Member

That latter part of what you mentioned was what I was thinking yeah. I didn't mean to suggest 1Password doesn't export them, it totally does :) It's Apple's Keychain that ignores them, it tells you...but when it's hundreds, that's not exactly helpful. I just kept a secure note of the csv for those occassions, but it was hardly a good experience!

They do require a username/password attached to everything as far as I was able to suss out.

TLDR; self-inflicted pain and me whinging about wishing I had duplicate detection to help ease my mistakes :D

• I understand, hopefully this is a scenario that 1Password can better help customers handle in the future. Let us know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else that we can help with. πŸ™‚

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.