Unlock with Device PIN does not appear in Security Settings

Options
brampitoyo
brampitoyo
Community Member

I was trying to enable unlocking 1Password using a Device PIN. I was aware that this option will only be offered after Touch/Face ID failed a few times. In fact, I was able to try it once or twice last week.

The problem is, the "Device PIN" option had simply disappeared one day, even after installing various builds of `1Password (from both the App Store and TestFlight).

Is there a way to get the "Device PIN” option to reappear in Security Settings? Is there a particular option under my System Settings > Touch ID & Passcode that I need to enable or disable, in order for the 1Password app to “see” that I have a passcode set, which the app can then use?

1Password Version: 8.10.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 16.4.1 (a)
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• brampitoyo
    brampitoyo
    Community Member
    Options

1Password Security Settings without Device Pin option

Screenshot of the problem. In 1Password > Settings > Security, there’s a blank space where “Device Pin” was supposed to be, even though a passcode had been set in System Settings > Touch ID & Passcode.

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @brampitoyo! 👋

I'm sorry for the confusion. Due to how Touch ID unlock is implemented you'll need to disable Touch ID for your entire iOS device if you'd like to use your device passcode to unlock 1Password for iOS. The "Device PIN" option appearing in 1Password on devices that use Touch ID was a bug that was fixed in the latest version (8.10.6):

You can now turn off Touch ID if you want to use passcode unlock instead.

I hope that helps!

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#21220

• brampitoyo
    brampitoyo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave, even after deleting all the fingertips of my device, the “PIN” option still didn’t appear in 1Password. Do I need to restart my device, or is this a bug?

• brampitoyo
    brampitoyo
    Community Member
    Options

As the help article suggested, I’ve locked and unlocked 1Password after deleting my fingerprints, in order for the change to take effect. However, there was still no “PIN” to be found – only a “TouchID” which could not be selected.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@brampitoyo

I'm sorry that you're unable to enable "Device PIN" unlock on your iPhone. I've reproduced this issue on my iPad as well. I've spoken to our developers and this is a known issue that they're working on. For now, if you're using a device with Touch ID you won't be able to enable passcode unlock even if you disable Touch ID unlock for that device, you can choose to unlock 1Password for iOS using either your account password or Touch ID.

I've let our developers know that you'd like to see the "Device PIN" option become available on Touch ID devices so that they're aware that this is important to you. Let me know if you have any questions.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.