Feature Request: Have Quick Access remember the previous search term for a longer time period

jtrott
jtrott
Community Member
edited May 2023 in Mac

One of my main use cases for 1Password is retrieving passwords that I then paste across RDP sessions into remote servers. Quite often I will need the same password over and over again on different remote servers. 1Password mini only seems to remember the search result for a minute or so, so I am constantly searching for the same item over and over, rather than just being able to bring up mini with a keystroke and then copy the password with another keystroke. Would be great if the time could be extended or an option could be added to never clear the search results - if I want to search for something else I just need to start typing as the search text is already highlighted.

1Password Version: 8.10.6
Extension Version: 2.10.0
OS Version: macOS 13.3.1
Browser:_ All

Comments

• Hello @jtrott! πŸ‘‹

Thank you for the suggestion! By "1Password mini" do you mean Quick Access? If you do then have you considered opening the item into a new window? That would allow you to continue to have access to the item's username and password without having to open Quick Access over and over again. Try these steps:

1. Open Quick Access (Shift-Command-Space bar)
    2. Search for and then select the item that you'd like to open.
    3. Press Command-O to open the item into a new window.

The window will stay open for as long as you need and will float above your other windows. Let me know if that helps. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• jtrott
    jtrott
    Community Member

Sorry, I did mean Quick Access. I have tried opening in a new window, the problem with that is it only shows on my main space. I have all my RDP session setup to go full screen in their own space, having to switch back to the main space each time is much slower than just hitting the hot key and then hitting the password copy key.

• @jtrott

For your use case, I can see how an option to extend how long Quick Access retains a search result would be useful and I've filed a feature request on your behalf so that our product team can look into this for the future. Thank you for the suggestion! πŸ™‚

-Dave

ref: PB-33164710

• thefishknows
    thefishknows
    Community Member
    edited June 2023

I'd like to have such an option as well.

The most annoying thing about the current behavior is:

After the initial timeout, the last search result will show up the next time you open quick access
    and show only for a fraction of a second only to vanish again.

typing the same keyword again to restore that same pane feels a bit frustrating at times.

The thing is: you never know if you will need the item again, so opening a detail window is not always an option.

I know it might be a security thing to prevent showing the last item again for a long time by default but having it as an advanced option would save my day.

(or at least remove the flash of the old result - that helps me forgetting that I wanted to have this feature in the first place)

• @thefishknows

Thank you for the detailed feedback, I've passed it along to our Product team. πŸ™‚

-Dave

ref: PB-34008271

This discussion has been closed.