Keyboard shortcuts don't work if menu bar icon disabled

Options
camtech
camtech
Community Member
edited May 2023 in Mac

If the settings option "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" is disabled, the Quick Access and Autofill keyboard shortcuts cease to function (unless the main app is open).

One of my favorite things about 1Password is the ability to find and fill with only keyboard shortcuts, which means it doesn't require another icon cluttering my menu bar.

This issue has been present for a at least several months, possibly longer. Apologies for not mentioning this sooner.

Edit: I am using betas at the moment, but have tested on main as well.

1Password Version: 8.10.7
Extension Version: 2.11.1
OS Version: macOS 13.3.1 (a)
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited May 2023
    Options

Hello @camtech! ๐Ÿ‘‹

Thank you for reporting the issue. I can confirm that our developers are aware of this behaviour and we're discussing internally how we can improve how 1Password stays open in the background in the future. For now, if you turn off "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" then 1Password's processes will completely close once you close the main window. To keep those processes running in the background, and ready to accept keyboard shortcuts, you'll need to turn on "Keep 1Password in the menu bar".

I've passed along your comments to our developers to further the internal conversation. I'm sorry for the confusion.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#9557

• camtech
    camtech
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick response, @Dave_1P!

• ag_tommy
    Options

On behalf of Dave, you're welcome.

• fdlbt
    fdlbt
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to echo this concern, it's been four months since the OP with no change to this issue.

"Keep 1P running in background" and "Show icon in menu bar" should get separate setting checkboxes (perhaps with the second being dependent on the first). Menu bar space on Mac laptops is a precious commodity, especially on models with a camera notch. I would love to see the 1P 7 functionality return where you could activate keyboard shortcuts without the icon being visible in the menu.

Thanks!

• @fdlbt

Thanks for writing in. In order for the 1Password desktop app to keep running in the background even when the main window is closed, and continue to make keyboard shortcuts available for use, you need to keep 1Password in the menu bar. Since 1Password is critical security software that stores your most important information, it will only run in the background if the menu bar icon is turned on so that users are always aware when 1Password is open and potentially unlocked on their Mac.

That being said, I've passed your request along to our product team. Thank you for the feedback. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

ref: PB-35856226

• trollfred
    trollfred
    Community Member
    Options

I would at least add a note under this checkbox in Settings, that explains that if you disable this checkbox 1Password will not be open in the background and won't be able to listen to shortcuts. That would save many minutes for the users trying to figure out why shortcuts are not working

• @trollfred

Thank you for the feedback, I've passed along your suggestion to the team internally. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

ref: PB-37467628