The "Share a Copy" button has disappeared from the web client

connorlavoy
connorlavoy
Community Member
edited May 2023 in Business and Teams

Up until a few days ago, when a new member of my team was onboarded I could make them accounts following security best practices (including MFA) and send them a complete record right to their private vault. Now the option to do that has disappeared, leaving only the less-effective options of moving/copying record to group vaults, or private vaults that have never been opened by their users yet. Link sharing is also unhelpful, because that doesn't give a user a copy of the record, they would have to add every field manually (if they even can copy the underlying data of fields like one-time password) Where did it go? It worked great before and there's no reason it should have left.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @connorlavoy,

The Send a Copy beta feature is being depreciated. If you'd like to share individual items, consider using the Secure Sharing feature, which will allow you to share an encrypted link for a customizable amount of time. When an item is shared by this method, it will allow the end-user to save a copy of that item inside their 1Password account, if they have 1Password in the browser (the extension) installed and signed into their account. https://support.1password.com/share-items/

In case you are curious, the send a copy feature was only available as a beta feature on the 1Password website. The 1Password clients didn't handle it well, and the new data would only appear when a team member would next unlocked the 1Password app. It led to a fair amount of confusion. The new feature is available to everyone who uses 1Password, and we think it will be much more robust in many use cases.

Let me know what you think, or feel free to email BusinessSupport@1Password.com and mention this forum thread if you'd like to discuss this privately.

Cheers,

• johnsmith99
    johnsmith99
    Community Member

"It led to a fair amount of confusion."

We used the "Send A Copy" for sending a users VPN password directly to their vault, so they could use it on their machine or mobile phone

Before

• Login to the web client
    • Select the credential
    • Select "Send A Copy"
    • Enter the users name (Auto completes as they are in our company account)
    • User gets that credential in their private vault, and can use whenever they need.

Now

• Login to the web client
    • Select the credential
    • Select "Share"
    • Set the expiry to "30 days" (Users might not click the link within that time anyways, so we might have to repeat this process again)
    • Change to "Available To" to "Only Some People"
    • Enter the email address of the user (Doesn't auto complete
    • Click "Get Link to Share"
    • Copy the link, and send to the user
    • User clicks the link, then has to enter their email address to get a code.
    • User gets email with code and enters into the page
    • User can now see the credential
    • User has has the option to save into their 1Password for future use.

We've just moved to 1Password Business, and the first thing we see is functionality being removed. Talk about confusion

• @johnsmith99,

I appreciate you sharing your use case, and it is certainly true there are more steps associated with using the newer item sharing feature versus the retired "Send a copy". Like Scott mentioned, I do recommend contacting our team at businesssupport@1password.com from your account's registered email address, as our product team can use this feedback to gather further information and further assist.

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member
    edited May 2023

Sigh.

I had a feeling I will find this reasoning here when I noticed Send a copy item was missing in the web client.

I'm adding +1 to @johnsmith99's desperation, this was a really comfortable option for onboarding users safely and now it is gone. Thanks for nothing.

Hint: maybe mark beta/experimental features as such, so that people are not surprised when these features suddenly get missing.

• ag_max
    edited May 2023

@finwe,

At the moment, beta features are opt-in and must be enabled by an owner or administrator, and this is shown in the Settings page of a business or team account.

Although it's opt-in, I can see a situation where another person may be relying on them without realizing this. I'll be happy to pass this along to the team to see if this can be more apparent in other areas of the 1Password interface.

ref: pb-33290915

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member

@ag_max Yes, I have enabled this years ago when I set up the account for the first time and haven't checked the page or the list since, as I believe most users won't. Thanks for passing this to your team, anyway.

• Absolutely, and I appreciate you sharing this. If our team can be of any assistance going forward, please let us know.

• samiimmonen
    samiimmonen
    Community Member

Had to register to community just give +1 to @johnsmith99's comment. Even had my initial message in this thread disappear as I was redirected to registration page just to find out that a message I spent time writing was erased in it's entirety. I am determined to give +1 to this important topic and minor obstacles like this can't stop me.

We used Send a copy functionality to onboard new employees as well as in internal use to quickly and securely share a password among co-workers when needed. Other alternative methods for a sharing a password are full friction and frustration. User experience for sharing a password just fell of the balcony and hit ground 60mph.

Would be nice have this loved functionality back. Thank you.

• 0x00
    0x00
    Community Member
    edited June 2023

Sad to see "Share a Copy" feature gone. Our organization was also heavily relying on it and the link-based alternative is not as good.

• Hello @samiimmonen and @0x00,

Thanks for sharing your feedback about the "Send a copy" feature in 1Password. Please email BusinessSupport@1Password.com so we can discuss this with you and determine any options that may be able to help.

Thank you,

• akschu
    akschu
    Community Member

Same thing here. We picked 1password in part because we could push the passwords a new user needs to their account directly and have them onboarded quickly. This is now a confusing pain in the butt.

• ag_max
    edited June 2023

Hi @akschu,

Thank you for letting us know this feature was important to your workflow. When you have a chance, please send us an email to businesssupport@1Password.com to discuss this further.

• lode
    lode
    Community Member

I too used this often for onboarding new employees. My use case is the same as others in this thread. Do you want me to email businesssupport@1Password.com as well? Will that add anything?

Maybe a nice way forward could be to make the new sharing easier, also for this use case. E.g. next to 'Share' to have a 'Share with' which starts the UX with an autocomplete of the people in the org. That would help with recognizing this flow (I personally don't think about 'Share' when sharing internally), using it safely (it is too easy to leave it to 'anyone with the link' while it could be more strict for internal usage), and of course easier to use (with autocomplete of internal users).

• Hello @lode,

I too used this often for onboarding new employees. My use case is the same as others in this thread. Do you want me to email businesssupport@1Password.com as well? Will that add anything?

Absolutely! Please do email us as we have more options to help in a support ticket than on our community forums.

Maybe a nice way forward could be to make the new sharing easier, also for this use case. E.g. next to 'Share' to have a 'Share with' which starts the UX with an autocomplete of the people in the org. That would help with recognizing this flow (I personally don't think about 'Share' when sharing internally), using it safely (it is too easy to leave it to 'anyone with the link' while it could be more strict for internal usage), and of course easier to use (with autocomplete of internal users).

If you have a 1Password business account, there are options to manage the sharing settings, including the ability to restrict the domain names which can be used when sharing with those outside of your team. While I'd be glad to review this with in a support ticket, you may find our support article to be helpful now:

Manage item sharing settings in 1Password Business

I hope this information helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any further questions!

Thank you,

• broden77
    broden77
    Community Member

Come on guys, this was one of the best 1password features, one of the main points when I recommend 1password to anyone. Why would you keep it in beta for 5+ years and then deprecate it? I don't understand.

• Hello @broden77,

Thanks for sharing your feedback on the "send a copy" feature in 1Password. At this time, I don't have any further information about why the feature was kept in beta or depreciated at this time.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

• flotpg
    flotpg
    Community Member

Same here. We need this to onboard new users.
    I agree that the implementation confused some users because items didn't appear until they lock/unlock.
    This is probably due to some implementation issues?
    But living without the feature is a blocker for us.

• Hi @flotpg,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. The old "Send a copy" beta feature primarily worked on 1Password.com and it ran into a number of problems when interacting with the 1Password apps. It was also only available to certain account types. The new secure item sharing functionality is available to all 1Password accounts was designed with the 1Password apps in mind.

That said, if you haven't yet done so, I do recommend contacting our team via email (businesssupport@1password.com) from your account's registered email address so you share any further feedback or requirements with our Product team. This will help them better address any issues you're facing with onboarding.

• Glennzo
    Glennzo
    Community Member

+1 for bringing the old "send a copy" feature back. Onboarding new people just became such a hassle now.

• flotpg
    flotpg
    Community Member

Opened a ticket with request to re-enable the feature for our tenant. Quick and uncomplaining. Thanks 1Password support :)

• Hello @Glennzo,

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. If you have any additional information about your use case, please email BusinessSupport@1Password.com and we'll be glad to help.

• Hello @flotpg,

Thanks for writing in. I'm glad to hear we were able to help.

• wagnerone
    wagnerone
    Community Member
    edited July 2023

Another day, another disappointment. I can't believe I went from #1 fan to "oh man, what feature was stripped from beneath my feet today" complaining guy. It's really dismaying.

Like many, we used this feature regularly to drop items in peoples' vault for onboarding too.

The new sharing options are a pain and not nearly as efficient for our admin team nor those being onboarded.

Before I'd drop a copy in someone's vault, delete my copy, and move on. Now I have to leave this "temp" copy sitting around indefinitely unless I want to keep pestering the recipient to ensure they have it?

The new process I was just made to do took way too many clicks, looking peoples' email addresses up, slacking people links, etc. Ugh.

• Hello @wagnerone,

Would you be able to share your feedback about the removal of the "Send a copy" option with us over email? Our product team is collecting feedback about this feature, and I'd like to connect you with them so they can discuss your use case. Send an email to BusinessSupport@1Password.com, mention this community post, and your username, and I'll be able to get you connected.

Thank you,

• wagnerone
    wagnerone
    Community Member

@ScottS1P I will make time to do this despite giving copious feedback in the past that often seems to have fallen on deaf ears. Thanks for asking and I hope it can be helpful!

• On behalf of Scott, you're welcome. Also my thanks to you wagnerone.

• feilsafe
    feilsafe
    Community Member

I am flabbergasted anyone at the 1password product team went and thought "Oh yes this complex password sharing for in and out of 1password requiring several more steps is a great REPLACEMENT for the send a copy feature". As is the case for everyone else we used it heavily when onboarding users and also when creating credentials for services that did not revolve around emails for account/password creation. This way we could simply create their different accounts and send them all to their private bucket.

This feels like 1password is recommending to have 1 shared account in a shared vault for enterprises... It's not like we use a password manager to increase security.

Is there any way to get this feature back ? Because without it 1password is just another password manager like so many others...

• flotpg
    flotpg
    Community Member

@feilsafe
    I opened a ticket with request to re-enable the feature for our tenant. Quick and uncomplicated. Thanks 1Password support :)

• Hello @feilsafe,

If you haven't yet emailed BusinessSupport@1Password.com to discuss the case with us, please be sure to do so. We are actively collecting feedback from anyone impacted by this, and may have some options for you to consider when sharing with your team.

Thank you,

This discussion has been closed.