Website registration = no prompt to save credentials?

Options

Hi,

I'm sure I must have missed a configuration option somewhere during the 1Password setup, coming from LastPass, which to be honest worked flawlessly for years but I wanted to jump into the 1Password due to lastpass's latest checkered history.

Why is it, when signing up / registering on a website, the credentials are not saved to 1pass ?
You sign up and theres no prompt to record/register those details, you have to go manually create the entry in 1password yourself.

I have seem on "some" sites registration forms, once you enter a username (on the signup form) you will see a 'Save to 1Password' popup appear under the input box, however clicking this (if you get it) you cant even generate a password from this section and you need to go to 1password or the browser extension, generate a password, then go back to that popup and enter it , save , and then enter it again into the signup/registration form.

Its' an extremely clunky user experience.

Coming from LastPass, registering/signing up to a new website that was not in lastpass, you would go through the process and then lastpass browser extension would prompt you "Do you want to save these credentials" , say "yes" and it was completed, no further involvement from the user.

I'm hoping this is a configuration item i've missed, as I'm trying to convert my family and clients to 1Password from LastPass but the idea of these is to be seamless with general user experience of the web, from early testing with family even, they were signing up to websites and then losing their password (thinking that 1Password had saved it) and then having to go 'forgot password' route on the website and then manually save the entry within 1Password.

Unsure if it matters, but these were on Mac OS / Google Chrome Extension (1Password - Password Manager) Version 2.10.0

Look forward to hearing back and trying to see what I'm doing wrong here and hoping it is just an oversight/configuration error on my end.

1Password Version: 8.10.6
Extension Version: 2.10.0
OS Version: MacOS Ventura 13.3.1 (a) (22E772610a)
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Hi @fluffyduck , thanks for reaching out!

With 1Password in your browser you will not be prompted to save the item after clicking to submit the sign up form on the website. Instead, the item is saved before clicking to submit the form in order to help prevent data loss. The process is the following:

1. Navigate to the website you’d like to create an account on.
    2. Enter your username or email.
    3. Click in the password field and select " Use Suggested Password".
    • If you're not seeing the inline menu, click the 1Password icon in the password field to toggle on the menu and then select "Use Suggested Password".
    1. A prompt will appear to save this item. Select the vault you'd like to save the item to, then click "Save".
    2. Now that the item is saved in your 1Password vault, click to submit the sign up form.

The "Save in 1Password" suggestion will appear if you're manually entering a password or username. If you're not receiving the "Use Suggested Password" option, or the suggested password isn't meeting the website's password requirements, you can generate a custom new password using the Password Generator in the 1Password extension pop-up. Here's how you can do that after entering your username or email:

1. Click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar.
    2. Click the Menu icon next to New Item, then select the Password Generator.
    3. Select the Type of password you'd like to generate and make any further adjustments as desired.
    4. Click the Autofill button.
    5. A prompt will appear to save this item. Select the vault you'd like to save the item to, then click Save.
    6. Now that the item is saved to your 1Password vault, click to submit the sign up form.

I should also mention that 1Password does allow you to view your password history as well as restore previous versions of items. I've included a link below with further details on how to do this:

Let us know if you have any questions!

• fluffyduck
    fluffyduck
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @david.m_1P - seems the issue might be related to certain registration pages where the prompts arent displayed for reasons I'm not sure of.

However the behaviour you mentioned seems to work, I guess the learning curve is instead of having 1password save the new registration details on signing up to a page 'after' the signup is completed like how LastPass handles it, I need to ensure when filling out those details to try look for that popup on the username field and click 'save' at that point mid way through registration/signup instead of at the end.

Thanks for that information about password history, wasn't aware of that.

• Hey @fluffyduck,

That's correct, we prompt to save the details prior to submitting the form to prevent losing any data if problems arise as the form is submitted such as the page not loading.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

This discussion has been closed.