How will passkeys be transferred to new devices?

Options
Heyo
Heyo
Community Member

I'm excited to start using passkeys, but as someone who changes phones lot, how will passkeys transfer to new devices if not using 1Password?

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

On iOS/macOS via iCloud.

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @Heyo! 👋

We're working hard to bring passkeys to you as soon as possible. One of the benefits of using 1Password to store your passkeys is that you'll have access to those passkeys on all of your devices even if you're using a lot of different devices. As always, 1Password will make sure that you have easy access to all your logins across all your devices.

We have a neat explainer and video on our website here: Passkeys: the future of authentication in 1Password

how will passkeys transfer to new devices if not using 1Password?

@XIII beat me to it and their answer is right: Apple devices will use iCloud. Other platforms will save and sync using different methods. Currently, passkeys on other platforms require you to use a device from the same ecosystem to authenticate or a workaround such as a QR code that you would scan. 1Password will make cross-platform passkey use easy and convenient and we'll start releasing passkey support in June. 🙂

-Dave

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

1Password will make cross-platform passkey use easy and convenient and we'll start releasing passkey support in June

(That's why I am) Looking forward to that!

• Heyo
    Heyo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for clarifying @XIII and @Dave_1P! That is another reason I'm really excited for passkey support. And a main reason I've been using 1Password for years! I even got my wife to start using.

I was more just curious how other platforms were going to do it, especially after reading your explainer about how the private key is stored on the phone so I was just wondering.

Thanks again! I can't wait for June!

• Dave_1P
    Options

I'm happy to help. We can't wait for June either! 😊

-Dave

• faquick
    faquick
    Community Member
    Options

Is there going to be a beta test of Passkey features in 1P? I would be happy to participate :)

• GreyM1P
    Options

@faquick

You can sign up for news and information about passkeys here:

Our passwordless newsletter will keep you informed about what's new in the passwordless world, including passkeys.

• faquick
    faquick
    Community Member
    Options

@GreyM1P I already subscribed, till now I only received the confirmation email with subject "Welcome to Beyond Passwords!" at the end of march :-)

• GreyM1P
    Options

@faquick – Great to hear! In which case, you'll be among the first to hear about anything new coming next month. You can also keep an eye on our passkeys website here: Passkeys: the future of authentication in 1Password.

Community Member
    Options

According to the manager of the Authentication Experience team at Apple

Passkeys will be importable and exportable, cross-device, and across passkey managers. They aren’t at this time, but they will be. It’s something that’s being defined and designed

https://hachyderm.io/@rmondello/110329118270492669

• Dave_1P
    Options

@404

Thanks for sharing! As a member of the FIDO Alliance, 1Password is actively working with our industry partners create an easy and convenient passkey experience for everyone. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.