Are documents / attachments encrypted?

Options
swaldman
swaldman
Community Member

Hi!

It's great that you can save documents and attachments in 1Password!

While the support articles I can find explain how to do this, they do not explicitly address whether the documents are encrypted. The documents I mean to keep in 1Password are very sensitive, and I want to be sure that as they sync to your server and my several devices, they are encrypted, inaccessible to others without my master password, like regular password data.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 8.10.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @swaldman! πŸ‘‹

Good question! All documents and file attachments are encrypted before they leave your device. Only you can view your documents and file attachments since only you know your account password and Secret Key.

You can read more about 1Password's end-to-end encryption here: About the 1Password security model

I hope that helps! πŸ™‚

-Dave

• swaldman
    swaldman
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you! Just to be clear, are they encrypted when they are stored on my device as well?

When I'm not in the 1Password app, if, say, someone got access to one of my backup drives, are those documents saved in an encrypted or plaintext form?

• Dave_1P
    Options

@swaldman

File attachments and documents are encrypted locally on your device until you view them. When you view a document or file attachment 1Password has to decrypt that file locally on your device before it can open it. This means that 1Password has to store a decrypted copy of the item in a temporary space on your hard drive.

The next time that you lock the 1Password app that temporary space is cleaned up so that unencrypted copies of your documents and file attachments aren't left floating around on your hard drive.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Dave

• swaldman
    swaldman
    Community Member
    Options

Great. Thank you.

• Dave_1P
    Options

I'm happy to help! πŸ™‚

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.