Markdown not applied correctly on the Notes field (sometimes)

Options
vikaesar
vikaesar
Community Member

Hi! I’ve recently started to use Markdown formatting — just for applying a bold typeface to part of the text — in some of my Login items, specifically in the Notes field. I usually edit my items in 1Password for Windows and Markdown is rendered without issues there. However, I’ve noticed that sometimes these items are not correctly displayed in 1Password for Android. Specifically, sometimes my Markdown formatting is not rendered correctly for an item, i.e. no bold text and the asterisks are shown, and some other times it is rendered ok for the very same item, and I can’t tell why.

1Password Version: 8.10.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 13
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @vikaesar, thanks for writing in and letting us know about this behavior.

I did some testing and found I couldn't reproduce this in 1Password for Android. I see you specified the Notes field, but just to confirm you're seeing this in the Notes field, not a Text field? Text fields do not support markdown so if you had a Text field and a Notes field in the same item it could end up looking as you described.

I'd like to ask you to open edit mode for one of the affected items in 1Password for Android. When editing, do you notice any inconsistencies or differences between words that have been correctly bolded or those that have just been left with asterisks? I'd also like to ask if the affected items are older and might have been created on an earlier version of 1Password.

Thanks again!

• vikaesar
    vikaesar
    Community Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

Hi, @ag_timothy.

1. Yes, I only use Markdown formatting in the Notes field of items. I’m pretty sure it is not any other text field.

2. Whenever I edit in 1Password for Android one of the affected items that I have opened and that are not rendered correctly, I can see the Markdown formatting is ok. If I save the item again, nothing changes (and that is made clear because the last modified date of the item does not change), but then the Markdown is rendered correctly for that item. Afterwards, if I close that item and open it again, sometimes it is rendered incorrectly again. It just seems random behavior, there is no inconsistency in the bolded text. Sometimes items are rendered ok and some other times the same items aren’t.

3. Yes, all of these items are old, like years old, and were created with earlier versions of 1Password. I just edited them recently to add some custom fields and edit the Notes field in them.

PS: Regarding this last point, I have noticed that one item I recently edited is always shown correctly, and it is precisely an item I created less than a year ago. I’m almost certain I created it with 1Password 8 for Windows.

• Hi @vikaesar, thanks for following up and sharing those details.

I suspect the affected items were created before Markdown was fully supported on all platforms or this structure was partially lost. Could you create a new item then copy the note with the Markdown syntax from one of the affected items to that new item? When saved, does the formatting appear as expected or are you still seeing the same errors?

Thanks again!

• vikaesar
    vikaesar
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, @ag_timothy.

I have tried creating a new item the way you suggested and this new item is always rendered as expected. There is no Markdown formatting error in its Notes field.

• Hi @vikaesar thanks for confirming that.

While it's likely an unfortunate result of previous item structures, I've shared this with the team so we can be aware to avoid this in any future updates. For any items where you see inconsistent Mark Down, the best option may be to copy the information over to a new item then Archive the original. My apologies for any disruption to your workflow.

If you have any questions or there's anything we can help with, just let us know!

This discussion has been closed.