Revert to 1Password 3.8 from 3.9 MAS....

Hi, due to complicated reasons related to SSD drives, a very large Dropbox folder, and a large internal (non-boot) drive on my MBP, I wish to move my Dropbox folder out of my UserAccount home folder. As I understand it, I thus need to revert to 3.8 to make this work.

I have a license for 3.8, as well as having purchased 3.9 from MAS when it was released.

It appears I can delete 3.9 by dragging it to the trash and all its files will be gone, but it will leave the keychain file at the root of Dropbox. I can then move my Dropbox folder out of the my User home folder, leaving the keychain where it is at the root of Dropbox. I will then re-install 3.8 and "tell it" where the keychain resides and all will be good. My other computers will continue to use 3.9, and my iOS devices with version 4 will still sync happily.

I will plan on switching (with crossed fingers) to iCloud syncing with the release of MAS 1Password version 4.

If anyone can tell me that this is a great plan, or a rotten plan and some alternative steps, I would appreciate it.

Thanks. Joel.

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

Hey Joel,

Continuing our long discussion from the Dropbox forums :P The main reason for this is you wish to keep the Dropbox folder in a non standard location and this cannot be accomplished with the Mac App Store version.

Open the 1Password preferences and uncheck keep the helper running under the extensions tab. Make sure to quit 1Password as this will also quit the helper process. You will most likely notice a red number on your browser extension if you have your browser open. This is normal as the 1Password app and the browser extension are currently not communicating.

Uninstall 1Password 3 Mac App Store , by dragging it to the trash. This will indeed leave the keychain in the Dropbox folder.

Download and install the version from the site. Don't launch it just yet.
    Once you move the Dropbox folder, making sure the copy or move process is complete.
    Launch 1Password and if it does not auto detect the keychain, simply double click on it the actual keychain, 1Password 3 will ask if you want to switch to this keychain select yes.
    As an alternative to double clicking when you launch 1Password it will ask for the location of the keychain you can manually locate it should you wish to do so.

Just so you know I just manually made the same change just to make sure I had the steps correct for you. I now am going back to the Mac App Store version :)

*If you were indeed switching to an entirely different keychain there would be a more involved process due to possible errors with the browser extension. But since it the entirely same keychain there would be no issues.

• jolipoli
    jolipoli
    Community Member

Great, I appreciate the detailed and confirmed process to do this. Your help has been awesome and I am excited to get all my User stuff switched over to the SSD.

Funny, I always wondered what your username had to do with a "thigh", and now I know! ::grin::

Thank you, Mr. Hightower.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

Glad to help, you met with both my passions today. Dropbox and 1Password.

Enjoy the new setup.

• jolipoli
    jolipoli
    Community Member

Now that was an adventurous weekend- the Dropbox and 1Password part was easy! Moving my Home folder was quite tricky and would have been a disaster if not for my TM backup! I will practice on a non-essential User that is only a couple MB next time! Internet search is awesome, but not all the info there is correct, especially when dealing with Home folders and Terminal. ::yikes::

Thanks again.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad T-Dog was able to help you out. It is great news that everything is working out well. Keep us posted of any future adventures you have. We may be able to offer some assistance more specifically tailored to your situation than your Google searches turned up. :)

Stay safe out there!

This discussion has been closed.