[Feature Request] Use ‘op’ with work and personal accounts in the same process

Options
Ryan Parman
Ryan Parman
Community Member

I keep personal credentials in 1Password Family, and work credentials in 1Password Business. However, as a software engineer, sometimes I need both.

For example, my GitHub.com API credentials are personal, and are in a vault in my personal/family account. I also have GitHub Enterprise API credentials for work, and those are in my “Private” vault in 1P Business. There are cases when I need to hydrate both sets of credentials as part of the same process.

When running op run, op inject, or op read the op tool can only read from one account at a time. I need to explicitly switch accounts, and pipe portions of a file through op inject in each account, then concatenate them together.

In short, this sucks.

So I’d like to make a feature request asking for a way to authenticate with two 1Password accounts at the same time, so that I can resolve op:// links from two accounts in a single process.

Currently running op version v2.17.0.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Thank you for sharing your use-case! Multi-account support is definitely on our radar. However, it has not yet been planned in our short-term roadmap, so no promises in terms of timelines.
    For the time being, unfortunately, there is no elegant solution to this.
    I'll file an internal ticket. In the meantime, a easier workaround could be something along the lines of a script such as:

export ENVVAR1=$(op read op://... --account account1)
    export ENVVAR2=$(op read op://... --account account2)
    <your command consuming the above defined envvars>

Please note that using op read will not mask the secrets, though, as opposed to op run. Let us know if this helps!
    Thank you once again for raising this! We'll let you know once we have updates.

Best,
    Horia

This discussion has been closed.