Cannot use 1Password SSH agent from a Mac Mini without biometrics

Options
rsenna
rsenna
Community Member
edited May 2023 in SSH

I was aware of the ssh support in 1Password for some time and today I finally decided to give it a try.

I have some different machines at home (Linux, Windows, Mac) and I decided to start it on my Mac Mini M1 (1st gen).
I was following the instructions here but unfortunately it did not work.

For instance, after setting up GitHub with my key, if I try to

ssh -Tvv git@github.com

I get

debug1: Offering public key: 1password RSA SHA256:... agent
debug2: we sent a publickey packet, wait for reply
debug1: Server accepts key: 1password RSA SHA256:... agent

Then, in the "1Password Access Requested" dialog, I click in "Authorize".
And then I get

sign_and_send_pubkey: signing failed for RSA "1password" from agent: agent refused operation
debug1: No more authentication methods to try.
git@github.com: Permission denied (publickey).

I've checked some 1Password logs using

less ~/Library/Group\ Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/Library/Application\ Support/1Password/Data/logs/1Password_rCURRENT.log

And there I noticed this

INFO  2023-04-30T14:47:04.075 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(21)) [1P:foundation/op-apple/src/biometry_service.rs:308] System biometry info: BiometricStatus { current_policy: BiometricsOnly, current_method: TouchId, current_availability: NotPaired }

My impression is that 1Password's ssh agent is expecting a biometrics confirmation, which does not happen and therefore the connection is disallowed. Important, this is a Mac Mini, and I don't have access to any sort of biometrics...

1Password Version: 8.10.4
Extension Version: -
OS Version: macOS 13.3.1
Browser:_ -

Comments

• Hi @rsenna!

Thank you for reporting this issue and sorry for getting back to you so late.

The 1Password app should let you use your ssh keys even if you don't have biometrics available on your device.

Could you update to the latest version of the 1Password app and let me know if the issue still persists? If it does, could you send your full log file to support+forum@1password.com and mention that it is related to this forum thread?

Let me know if you have any other question!

Márton

This discussion has been closed.