Search in 1Password 8

Options
twlatl
twlatl
Community Member

Search in 1Password 8 is kind of useless. If I type something in the search field, I get a dropdown list of matches. But I can't see any details on those matches. You show a few values that will fit to the right of the match, but not enough to discern which result is the best most of the time.

Solution:
If the user clicks 'enter' on the search, the matched results should show in the main view, allowing the user to click on/highlight each and see the details.

1Password Version: 8.9.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @twlatl

We've designed Search to be the way that you find the single particular item you're looking for. That's why pressing Enter with a particular result highlighted (usually the most relevant, at the top) will open one result.

To see the full results of the search, you can press ⌘↩ (Command–Enter) or click "Show all matching items" in the search popover. There, you'll see the details you're looking for.

Give that a try, if you haven't already, and let me know how you find it.

— Grey

• toshitaka
    toshitaka
    Community Member
    Options

Agreed with twlatl, to enter the two keys ⌘↩ is just a toil, I prefer to "Show all matching items" with just single enter. Every time this irritate me.

• 1kPWs
    1kPWs
    Community Member
    Options

I agree to twlatl and toshitaka, the standard behaviour of the search is useless. I even did'nt know about the 2-key search, which should be the default option. When you enter a search with only the return button and would like to redo the search with command-return, the search field is blank and you have to retype the phrase.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

1PW8 has a hidden search/find feature that works almost like the far superior search of 1PW7. Use CMD + OPT + F and a new search field just above the item list and next to the search button is revealed. This shows results inline, i. e. omitting the useless popup windows with its relevance filtering. Sadly this search can't be configured to be the default behavior.
    The awful usability of 1PW8's search is the main reason I'll stay of 1PW7 for as long as possible.

• Thanks for the feedback here folks!

We do have an open feature request to toggle the "Show all matching items" option as the default search behaviour so I'll add your voices to that.

I've also added you to a related request for search terms persisting, @1kPWs.

I apologize for any friction this adds to your use of 1Password and appreciate you all letting me know this is important to you. Let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

ref: IDEA-I-289
    ref: IDEA-I-454

• jkereszturi
    jkereszturi
    Community Member
    Options

Is there still option to search by title vs. searching by everything? I can't find it as option but maybe just missing it.

• Hi @jkereszturi,

While it isn't currently possible to search a specific field, we do have an open feature request to bring this to 1Password 8 so I'll add your voice there. I appreciate you telling us this is important to you, please let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

ref: IDEA-I-439

• Terylon
    Terylon
    Community Member
    Options

@viswiz, thanks a lot for the hidden search function. Now I can search fault by fault and not only in the whole collection. Thanks again!

@andrew.l_1P also from my side a +1 for making this search as the default search function.

Funny: Both search function menu entries have the same name and it is not possible to switch the shortcuts via macOS preferences.

Could you name them "Global search" and "Fault search"? Thank you!

• Terylon
    Terylon
    Community Member
    Options

Search depends on the highlighted location in the sidebar:

Idea?

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

@Terylon I've reported translation problem with "Suchen" almost a year ago but Agilebits seems to ignore it...

• Hi @Terylon and @viswiz,

Thanks for surfacing this. I can confirm this has already been logged internally and remains open. I'll add both your remarks and hope we can look forward to an improvement, though I'm afraid I can't share any timelines. Apologies for any confusion this has caused!

ref: dev/core/core#18107

• greenday
    greenday
    Community Member
    Options

Let me add my vote to change the Search/Find record function in 1Password 8 for the Mac. I want to be able to type in my keyword and hit Enter and get results. Like every other app. I can't seem to break this habit. The result is always a single record, a-swim in a sea of irrelevant results. I feel like I've hit Google's "I'm feeling lucky" button. And then I say a naughty word. Every time.

I do understand that when I type in my keyword but before I hit Enter, I get a dropdown menu of suggestions that seem to be weighted toward having that keyword in the title. But the font is small and bold, making it slow and tiring to read for me with a Dark themed screen. Plus the titles are truncated. Yuck.

I'd like to search for a keyword (say, "Hostgator"), press Enter, and see only the 4 records with Hostgator in the title then populate the records area. It would THEN be nice to do something else (hit a button?) to see all records that contain "Hostgator". That would be logical, easy to use, and in line with the way most other apps on the planet are designed.

I try to sing the praises of 1P to friends, but if I give a demo, they do the same thing as I do: they hit "enter" without looking at the dropdown choices. Then they look at me, confused. I have to tell them that your app will hopefully get a thoughtful redesign in the near future.

I really do love 1P. But I use it so often that these small annoyances really add up. Thanks, and keep up the (mostly) excellent work.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@greenday

Thank you for the detailed feedback! I've passed along your comments and suggestion to our Product team who will consider it for the future. In the meantime, if you missed the mention earlier in the thread, you can press Command-Enter (rather than pressing Enter by itself ) to open all matching items in the centre column. I know that this doesn't speak fully to the workflow issues that you've brought up but I'm mentioning it in case it helps.

And thank you for sharing 1Password with your friends. 😊

-Dave

ref: PB-33263252

• greenday
    greenday
    Community Member
    Options

Yep. That Command-Enter is the part I’m complaining about.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

After almost two years since the 1PW8 was released and numerous complaints about the changes to the search UI, nothing has been changed. Even the developer who conducted the usability studies that led to the change at the time is now questioning the change. Absolutely every application with search functionlatity I use uses the same, simple, intuitive pattern: search as you type and show all results immediatly inline - no relevance filtering, no superflous popup window and no extra shortcut to show all results.
    Please, please revert this awful search UI of 1PW8 to the far superior and much more common approach of 1PW7. Yes, I know about the CMD+ALT+F workaround, but it's not a replacement for the proper search all previous 1PW versions had.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@greenday

Thank you for clarifying, I've passed along your suggestions and comments to our Product team.

@viswiz

Thank you for the feedback as well.

-Dave

ref: PB-33263252
    ref: PB-33301133

This discussion has been closed.