Upgrading from version 6?

Options
touchDown
touchDown
Community Member
edited May 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I am trying to understand the process by reviewing: https://support.1password.com/cs/migrate-1password-6-mac/

It looks like I would need to install 7, do a migration, then install version 8, yet step two is currently a link directly to install version 8.

I am currently not a subscriber. If I do choose to, at what point should I subscribe? Do I do the updates first? The reason I may wish to do it first is just to verify it works okay before subscribing.

One more further thing, when doing things with 1password in the past, I recall being ask for my secret key. Maybe I was provided with one a long time ago, but I wasn't able to locate it. (Do I just use finder to search for "secret key" ?) Anyways, will this be an issue with upgrading/subscribing ??

TIA

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.7.7
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @touchDown! 👋

I'm happy to hear that you're upgrading to the latest version of 1Password! I recommend sending an email to support+forum@1Password.com so that our dedicated migration team can help you upgrade to 1Password 8 smoothly. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to locate your message and make sure it's gotten to the right place. 🙂

-Dave

• touchDown
    touchDown
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for a quick reply. Is 1Password now web-based? If so, does it work equally well with Safari, Chrome, Edge?

• touchDown
    touchDown
    Community Member
    Options

[#BRU-78617-514]

• Dave_1P
    edited May 2023
    Options

@touchDown

1Password 8 is a local app that stores data on your devices and works with our modern browser extension: Get to know 1Password in your browser

With a 1Password membership, your data is also encrypted and then backed up to 1Password.com so that you never lose your items in case your devices break or go missing. And 1Password.com makes sure that you see your items on all of your devices without having to worry about setting up sync.

Thank you for posting the Support ID, one of my colleagues from the migration team will reach out to you as soon as possible. I'm closing this thread to prevent duplication of effort, please continue the conversation over email. 🙂

-Dave

ref: BRU-78617-514

This discussion has been closed.