base64 encoded multiline password support

Options

I was looking for a way to conveniently save multiline secrets (like private ssh keys) in 1password using the 'password' option. The web UI strips newline characters, though, which means when I restore the value later I have to restore the newlines to their original locations. This can be tedious and error-prone.

So, I solved my immediate problem (wanting to securely and conveniently save multi-line secrets) by base64 encoding them (base64 -w 0 < file.asc - or whatever) to create a version without line breaks or spaces. I can live with this for now.

I was wondering if 1password had considered adding a checkbox beside a password to signify that the contents were base64 encoded. This might make it feasible to base64 --decode the contents when accessed (like copying to clipboard or when accessing via the API).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:base64

Comments

• Hi there! I've provided your feature request to the team that manages items in 1Password. In the meantime do either the secure note or document item types provide a work around for your use case?

This discussion has been closed.