To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Newby transitioning from large spreadsheet to 1Password. What is best way to enter existing pws.

Options
Molodets
Molodets
Community Member
edited May 2023 in Memberships

I have been using a spreadsheet for years to keep track of my passwords. What is the best way for me to enter this information into 1Password?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ Edge
Referrer: forum-search:Newby transitioning from large spreadsheet to 1Password. What is best way to enter existing pws.

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@Molodets ,

First, I applaud you on moving from plain text secrets to something more secure!

The answer to your question depends on how you've organized your data in that spreadsheet.

Do your entries exist as one entry per row, or can entries span rows?

Are the rows consistent, such that the you have the appropriate values under the appropriate columns?

What types (aka categories) of entries do you have (e.g. are there Login entries, and Credit Card entries, etc.).

Or, is your data more ad-hoc and free form.

What I'm trying to assess is how easy it would be for you to identify and group the different entry types that you have, into something that would be consistent enough to be processed in an automated fashion. If your data is very tabular, consistent it its usage of columns, and consistent in terms of categories, and you can separate out the records (rows) into individual spreadsheets, one category per spreadsheets, then its likely possible to convert that into something that 1Password can import.

• Molodets
    Molodets
    Community Member
    Options

In response MRC,I am using a passworded excel spreadsheet. One column is name of site, second is username, third is pw. All but a few entries are in a standard font and the outliers can be corrected. There are other columns but they can be discarded. Can I use some kind of csv format? I generally know enough to be dangerous.

• GreyM1P
    Options

@Molodets

If you save the spreadsheet as a .csv file, you can then upload it to 1Password.com and specify what columns are to be used for what fields (username, password, website, and so on), by following the instructions here:

Move your data into your account on 1Password.com

Give it a try, and if you run into any trouble, send us an email to support@1password.com and we'll be happy to help. :)

— Grey

This discussion has been closed.