Password history missing after updating password using the browser extension

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: used passwords invisible in ios of 1PW 8.

Comments

• kohlgill1
    kohlgill1
    Community Member
    Options

This doesn’t work in all cases. Here’s what I did:
    1. Log into site on browser to change pwd (plex.com)
    2. Select new_pwd field
    3. See 1p browser plug-in pop up suggesting pwd
    4. Select suggested pwd
    5. See 1p browser plugin pop up confirming to update 1p entry, not create a new 1p entry
    6. Select confirm, dismissing pop up
    7. Select old_pwd field
    8. !
    9. Open 1p entry in 1p app to view pwd history
    10. See no pwd history, only new pwd

I do see pwd histories for other entries. Using 1P 8 for both Mac OS and iOS .

• Dave_1P
    Options

@kohlgill1

I'm sorry that you're not seeing the old password in the 1Password app. When you open the main 1Password app on your iOS device, tap on an item whose password you've changed, and then tap on the icon with three dots to the right of the password field what options do you see in the menu that appears?

And do you see previous versions for that item on 1Password.com: View and restore previous versions of items

-Dave

• kohlgill1
    kohlgill1
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P thanks for replying. Nope, on iOS, for items that have gone through the flow I mentioned above, I only see Copy, Reveal, Show in Large Type and Pin to Home as options in the three dot menu. For other items that have not gone through the flow I mentioned above, I do see View password history as an option.

On 1Password.com I do see the password history.

So, basically, I think this is a case where choosing the in-browser plugin-suggested password prevents the password history from being created in-app.

• kohlgill1
    kohlgill1
    Community Member
    Options

And, though it’s technically out-of-scope for this thread, the same bug appears in the Mac OS app. AFAICT.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@kohlgill1

Thank you for the reply and for the additional details. It looks like there is currently an issue where passwords that are updated using the browser extension (on either iOS or macOS) don't show up in an item's password history.

Our developers are currently investigating. Are you able to share the specific website addresses where you ran into this issue? It would help our developers isolate the problem further. But if the websites are sensitive then don't feel that you have to share them and, in any case, do not post any usernames or passwords.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#21989

• kohlgill1
    kohlgill1
    Community Member
    Options

https://app.plex.tv/desktop/#!/settings/account is where I've noticed this. I've not yet tried any other sites. This bug makes rapidly updating passwords, as suggested by Watchtower, harder.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@kohlgill1

Thank you for providing the website address, I've passed it along to our development team so that they can investigate further. Hopefully this is something that can be fixed soon.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.