Support for Orion Browser

Options

Comments

• misko
    misko
    Community Member
    Options

This is going on now for 18 months or there about and honestly this whole thread is disappointing to read. I am sys admin for school campus and I won't recomend 1Password to my users any more. I would personaly switch in a blink of an eye if I wouldn't be so invested in 1Password. And Chromium based browser is not an option, not for me and certainly not for our school.

• @misko

Our developers are working on secure settings, which will allow you to use your favourite browser (such as Orion) with 1Password. Thank you for your continued patience. For the moment, you can use Universal Autofill to fill logins in Orion. I know that it's not a full solution but I'm posting it in case folks missed it from earlier in the thread.

And Chromium based browser is not an option, not for me and certainly not for our school.

1Password already works great with Firefox (Gecko) and Safari (WebKit), neither of which use Chromium. 🙂

-Dave

• FAAD
    FAAD
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1p Hi Dave it is good to see that you are looking at this thread as well. Hopefully, the 1Password integration will be done soon for Orion. I have been a longstanding 1Password user since you were selling the Uptek fingerprint scanner. Lately, I must say I am a bit disappointed with the reliability of the 1Password extension in Safari and I am not the only one that is seeing this issue. My hope is to move to Orion completely since 1Password for Safrai is only working intermittently in Ventura on an Intel iMac.

• @FAAD

Thanks for using 1Password for such a long time! If you're referring to Dave the founder then I'm not him, I'm just another Dave who also works at 1Password. 😊

Hopefully, the 1Password integration will be done soon for Orion.

The team is working on it. The secure settings feature will allow you to use Orion, and any other third-party browser, with 1Password in the future. I'll let our development team know that you're looking forward to seeing it released.

Lately, I must say I am a bit disappointed with the reliability of the 1Password extension in Safari and I am not the only one that is seeing this issue. My hope is to move to Orion completely since 1Password for Safrai is only working intermittently in Ventura on an Intel iMac.

That definitely doesn't sound right. I've been using Safari as my main browser recently and 1Password for Safari has been working great on my Intel Macbook Pro. We'd definitely like to dig into this deeper so that we can see why 1Password for Safari isn't working well on your Mac, please send an email to support+forum@1Password.com so that our support team can take a look and advise further. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to locate your message and make sure it's gotten to the right place. 🙂

-Dave

• janpeeters
    janpeeters
    Community Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

Hi @matt.g1P I missed your reply of April 18th regarding the team working on secure settings, thanks for checking the status and reporting back!

• rtgibbons
    rtgibbons
    Community Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

Any updates? I don't want to switch to beta before I have to; but I really want to test and participate once the secure settings gets rolled out. (I'll even run nightlies if it gets me the closer to have Orion working natively.)

• B0rg
    B0rg
    Community Member
    Options

Can we have more info about this secure setting?

• Dave_1P
    Options

I don't have any new updates to share at the moment. The feature is still being developed and is not yet available for testing. We'll update this thread when the feature is released. 🙂

-Dave

• FredericC
    FredericC
    Community Member
    Options

So we'll ask again for a comptibility for the Orion extension.

We, customers are waiting since a year and a half for that. Browser developer wanted to help but got door closed, we are patiently waiting for 1password to do something. You finally told us a more global solution was on the way, but if there is no serious advancement on that, what's the point of avoiding the extension ? You are seriously hurting your customers, denying them the right to use the browser of their choice for no apparent reason. If I wanted a poor support browser support I'll go on a poor passwordmanager project. I stick with 1Password because I assume a big company would be able to respond the larger choice of apps/OS avaliable.

Please do "something".

• CharlieCortial
    CharlieCortial
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P , thank you for the update. So if I understand correctly, the feature is not yet available in beta, is that right? And you will update this thread when the feature (Secure Settings) becomes available, even ‘just’ in beta?
    Thank you for your answer!
    Charlie

• Dave_1P
    edited May 2023
    Options

@FredericC

As far as I know, we aren’t planning to restart the old process of reviewing and supporting each individually requested browser (of which there are quite a few). Secure settings will allow everyone to use the third-party browser of their choice so that 1Password will no longer act as a gatekeeper preventing folks from using their favourite browser whether that is Orion, Waterfox, SigmaOS or another browser. That's what the team is focused on now.

@CharlieCortial

Absolutely. As soon as secure settings is available in beta I'll make to sure to update this thread so that everyone can begin using the feature as soon as possible. 🙂

-Dave

• cgoebel
    cgoebel
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to express my frustration regarding two issues that I have been actively following, which have been left open for 19 and 13 months respectively (https://1password.community/discussion/comment/657746#Comment_657746 /Safari Icon which is not following Safari design guidelines). It is disappointing to note that there seems to be no visible progress being made, despite the fact that the technical fix for these issues should be relatively easy. In mid-February, an ETA of around April was given (https://1password.community/discussion/comment/676925/#Comment_676925), but it has now been several months and there is still no resolution in sight. As a paying Family Subscription admin, the lack of transparency is concerning, and it is becoming increasingly difficult to justify the subscription costs against this background.

• volts
    volts
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

I like your bike profile pic. Have fun out there!

What's "secure settings", please? I think I missed an announcement, and searching for those terms in the forum has been ineffective for me.

• Darkmagess
    Darkmagess
    Community Member
    Options

Hopefully this rolls out soon. I can't really give Orion much a test drive without my password manager working.

• berkay
    berkay
    Community Member
    Options

Firefox has been my main browser for more than a decade until I had to switch to Mac for work. Now I'm using Orion since it's a native webkit browser with Chrome and Firefox add-on support. Bitwarden works perfectly with Orion, but 1Password does not (which I have to use for work...). I am eagerly waiting for the official support to roll out...

• phrsn
    phrsn
    Community Member
    Options

Just wanted to add one more vote for 1Password to add support for Orion. I'd like to use Orion as my default browser, and 1Password is currently blocking me from doing that.

• duncanbrook
    duncanbrook
    Community Member
    Options

My last comment on this thread was April 2022, page 5. Now we're on page 13, and 1Password thinks it's time for me to pay full price to renew my subscription...

• Mitch
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hey all. Thanks for all the requests for Orion support. As we've said earlier in the thread, we've have been motivated by this feedback to work on a feature that will make it possible to allow any browser you trust to connect securely to the desktop app. It's getting close to ship, and I have a new post that goes into more detail about how it works: https://1password.community/discussion/140735/extending-support-for-trusted-web-browsers#latest.

However, even with this new setting, we've found that Orion is not currently compatible with the 1Password extension. Trying to load the Chrome extension (both mv2 and mv3) leads to unrecoverable errors in network requests and other low-level APIs. Here's an example of some errors in basic cryptography operations we saw which prevented the extension from even loading:

We are a bit surprised to see these kinds of errors since the 1Password extension is fully compatible with the web API and Web Extensions spec, and it works across Chrome(-ium), Firefox, and Safari. Our understanding from the Orion team was that compatibility wouldn't be an issue, and all we had to do was change our policy. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.

We'd of course like to see 1Password work everywhere, which is why we've invested in the new setting to add trusted browsers. But it's a much bigger lift to invest in specific compatibility changes for a single browser, especially if we don't know how extensive those changes will be. We're sharing our findings with the Orion team and will post an update in the forums when we find out more.

-Mitch

• CharlieCortial
    CharlieCortial
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Mitch ,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

It makes sense then that you should get in touch with @vprelovac .
    It is a well-known fact and this thread had many messages about it in previous pages, that Vlad and Orion developers tried to contact you to work on 1Password support in Orion, but to no avail.
    Now's the time!

I hope a solution can be found soon and this feature be available.

Best regards,
    Charlie

• Darkmagess
    Darkmagess
    Community Member
    Options

@Mitch Thanks for the update! Hopefully with your report Orion can do some work on their side.

• Sankcool
    Sankcool
    Community Member
    Options

once 1Password finally does their job and rolls out the update, it’ll be on Orion to patch any compatibility issues (assuming 1P’s extension is fully Web Extensions compatible). but 1P still hasn’t rolled out the update, and previously hasn’t cooperated with Orion’s team, so regardless of those errors it’s still currently on 1P to release this long-promised update.

• Harri
    Harri
    Community Member
    Options

@Mitch good to hear, thanks for the update! 👍

• misko
    misko
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the update. This is progress, and I'm looking forward to when this issue will finally be closed 👍

• vprelovac
    vprelovac
    Community Member
    Options

Vlad from Orion here, just want to post a quick update. I can confirm that 1Password contacted us today with the news of extended support that should include Orion, but there are still some compatibility issues. Our team will be looking into this as soon as we receive the test builds from 1Password. We are looking forward to working with them to resolve these and hopefully the next version of Orion (0.99.125) will ship with full 1Password support.

• Harri
    Harri
    Community Member
    Options

More great news—thanks @vprelovac !

• B0rg
    B0rg
    Community Member
    Options

Great, finally!!

• jmanes
    jmanes
    Community Member
    Options

Excellent news, Vlad. Keeping an eye on this. I will give your browser and search engine a shot as soon as this gets resolved.