I would like to populate the database with existing passwords

Options
grahame23
grahame23
Community Member

(Potential new customer) If I install the app, can I populate the database with my existing passwords (stored on post-its etc (just joking!!)?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:add passwords to 1password

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

Certainly. That's the main task of a password manager: create, use and maintain a database of credentials.
    You have 2 choices to import existing passwords from wherever you currently store your passwords. One is the integrated import, see https://support.1password.com/import/
    An advanced, more customized import, supporting a huge number of password manager products to import from, is community-developed by MrC: https://1password.community/discussion/101693/moving-to-1password-from-another-password-manager

• grahame23
    grahame23
    Community Member
    Options

Many thanks, but I'm not asking about Import, I'm asking if I can add credentials by hand, from wherever I have written then down. The only "password manager" I have is EDge browser, and instructions there are clear.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

I thought you were actually joking with "post-it", but if you do need to copy post-it's into 1Password, that's of course possible. Install the desktop app, press the big "+ new object" button and enter everything manually.

However, it's more easy if you add website credentials to install both the desktop app and the browser extension, then just navigate to the website, start to log in with your written down credentials and along the way save the credentials you just entered with the 1Password browser extension. This actually touches a small caveat of the browser extension: you need to explicitly save the credentials you just entered just before you submit the login form to actually login. Right-Click the browser extension icon->Save Login. This will create or update the login item for this website, if you are currently at the login dialog and entered your credentials.

This way you don't need to enter the website url, and 1Password saves everything needed to enable you to properly autofill the login details to that website later with just one mouse click.

I suggest you create a trial account and try the apps yourself. The trial is actually the full version, with full support, with 2 weeks gifted subscription. If you want to continue using 1Password, you just need to renew that trial subscription with a paid subscription and you are able to continue with the account you started.

• grahame23
    grahame23
    Community Member
    Options

Brilliant, thanks a lot.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @grahame23, it's great to hear that @Tertius3 (thanks for the assist!) was able to help you out here! You may find our getting started guides, linked below, useful as well:

If you have any further questions or concerns, don't hesitate to reach back out 😄

This discussion has been closed.