autofill fails on webssites - it either fills in nothing or wrong things

Options

When I try to get 1P to fill in a form for me it usually fills in very little or just a few items like my preferred username (often in the wrong place) I am a Dutch speaker and usually the forms are in Dutch but so is the interface of 1P so the field titles match the ones on websites but pressing the autofill button does virtually nothing. Am I doing something wrong (could ghostery or something be getting in the way - I have screenshots but they contain some PII and I would prefer not to upload - I can upload the form with the result of the autofill blanked out if that would helo.

1Password Version: 8.10.6
Extension Version: 2.10.0
OS Version: Win11 Pro
Browser:_ Edge
Referrer: forum-search:autofill not working w

Comments

• ChrisC1P
    Options

Thanks for reaching out @jamescarne

I have some questions to help me better understand what's going wrong and so I can provide the best advice moving forward:

1. Are you having trouble filling in your usernames and passwords, your Identity items, or both?
    2. Are you seeing the 1Password icon in the forms you're trying to fill?
    3. Do you use 1Password with any other devices? Are you having trouble filling with those as well or is it only with your Windows device?
    4. Could you upload the form you mentioned with the result of the autofill blanked out and any other PII removed as well?

If you'd prefer, you can answer those questions and attach the screenshots to an email message addressed to support@1password.com. With your email please include:

A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/140430/autofill-fails-on-webssites-it-either-fills-in-nothing-or-wrong-things#latest
    Your forum username: jamescarne

If you choose to email us you should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here.

Let me know what you decide!

• jamescarne
    jamescarne
    Community Member
    Options

Hi
    Thanks for the quick reply - here are my answers:
    Are you having trouble filling in your usernames and passwords, your Identity items, or both?

Passwords are OK - identity fails

Are you seeing the 1Password icon in the forms you're trying to fill?

Not much - see screeenshot - I thought it would appear on each field - but as you can see it is generally not there

Do you use 1Password with any other devices? Are you having trouble filling with those as well or is it only with your Windows device?

I don't think I filled in a form on other devices - but yes I do use it on phone and tablet

Could you upload the form you mentioned with the result of the autofill blanked out and any other PII removed as well?

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jamescarne, thanks for your response. I'd like to test the form on my end. Could you share a link to the form with us?

Additionally, we have a form created by our developers that we use for testing: https://fill.dev/form/identity-simple. If your browser's language is set as Dutch, then the form should appear as Dutch on your end. Could you go to that form, fill your Identity, and let us know if all the fields fill?

We hope to hear from you again.

• jamescarne
    jamescarne
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry this is going to be long and detailed (I've done a lot of beta testing in the past) - let me know if there is a better way to provide this info!

So if I go to that page you provided I get the form in screenshot

It is in English (my browser language is English) and my OS is English (bilingual is a challenge to computers clearly).
    Nothing is filled in and no 1P fill options are visible
    If I click in the fields nothing pops up to say 1P can fill it
    If I use the plugin from my browser toolbar it fills all in perfectly
    Right clicking any field doesn't offer any autofill options from 1P is that not a feature (lastpass has it)?

I think it would be hard for you to get the form I originally showed, here is a form you can access:

https://www.marktplaats.nl/account/createAccount.html?target=/my-account/sell/index.html
    This shows some good behaviour but not as good as it could be

there are no 1P symbols to help you know it can be autofilled however clicking on a field shows that 1P can make a suggestion - I think that 1P should at least make it clear that it can fill something.

When you click in the 1st field it offers 3 identities - I think that is OK
    However in the email field it still offers my potential username as well as my 2 email addresses - that's not quite right

It offers to make a password correctly - that's good

Here is a different form

https://www.praxis.nl/voordemakers/register?redirectUrl=/

this is in NL and If I click in a field no 1P symbols in the fields tell you that it can fill anything

However it will fill from the toolbar plugin button if I press autofill next to the identity I want to use

It does show up a few issues I'd like to get into but not sure this is the place (it doesn't fill some things and that is because there is no clear way I could see to add them to the Identity (to do with the way NL addresses are structured).
    It misses some things out - the non-blue fields
    It fails to fill my birthday correctly (gets the day right but not the rest)

Any other things I can test?

I'm an IT person and I can see that this is hard to diagnose - I don't mind if we leave this thread open until I find another case like the first one where it clearly won't fill. Is that OK?

Should I start a separate thread about the partial filling and the UI aspects I brought up in this one?

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jamescarne thanks for your reply!

Nothing is filled in and no 1P fill options are visible
    If I click in the fields nothing pops up to say 1P can fill it
    If I use the plugin from my browser toolbar it fills all in perfectly
    Right clicking any field doesn't offer any autofill options from 1P is that not a feature (lastpass has it)?

While 1Password can fill your personal details on certain forms, 1Password does not make suggestions in all those fields at this time. 1Password will only make suggestions in login fields, address fields, and credit card fields.

To fill your personal details in other fields, 1Password requires for you to click on the 1Password extension icon in your browser's toolbar, select your Identity, and select Autofill. These extra steps exist to help secure your data. However, we do understand that it's also important to balance security with user experience and convenience. We are working on adding suggestions to first and last name fields. If there are any other fields that you would like to fill from 1Password's inline menu, please let me know and I can share your request with our developers.

I think it would be hard for you to get the form I originally showed, here is a form you can access:
    https://www.marktplaats.nl/account/createAccount.html?target=/my-account/sell/index.html
    This shows some good behaviour but not as good as it could be
    there are no 1P symbols to help you know it can be autofilled however clicking on a field shows that 1P can make a suggestion - I think that 1P should at least make it clear that it can fill something.

I definitely understand what you're saying about making it clearer that 1Password can fill those fields. I'll share your feedback with our developers.

When you click in the 1st field it offers 3 identities - I think that is OK
    However in the email field it still offers my potential username as well as my 2 email addresses - that's not quite right

It looks like 1Password treats both the username and email fields the same. 1Password is making suggestions in those fields based on the email addresses in your Identities. This is normal behavior on signup forms. That said, what kind of suggestions were you looking in the email field? I'll let you know if there's a way to get those suggestions. I can also share any feedback you provide with our developers.

Here is a different form
    https://www.praxis.nl/voordemakers/register?redirectUrl=/
    this is in NL and If I click in a field no 1P symbols in the fields tell you that it can fill anything
    However it will fill from the toolbar plugin button if I press autofill next to the identity I want to use

I'll share your input about making it clearer that 1Password can fill those fields with our developers. In the meantime, it is indeed possible to fill the fields from the extension icon in the toolbar, as you mentioned.

It does show up a few issues I'd like to get into but not sure this is the place (it doesn't fill some things and that is because there is no clear way I could see to add them to the Identity (to do with the way NL addresses are structured).

I'm happy to take a closer look at this with you in this thread. Could you tell me what you currently do in order to add your address and fill it? What in specific could make 1Password better in saving and filling NL addresses?

It misses some things out - the non-blue fields

I tested things out and do see that 1Password doesn't fill certain fields on that form. I've looked up some NL addresses but my knowledge on that is limited. Could you provide some examples of what should go in these fields?

It fails to fill my birthday correctly (gets the day right but not the rest)

There is something strange going on with that field. Just to check though, how is your birthdate formatted in your Identity?

Any other things I can test?
    I'm an IT person and I can see that this is hard to diagnose - I don't mind if we leave this thread open until I find another case like the first one where it clearly won't fill. Is that OK?

Since your Identity can fill our test form, it is set up correctly. However, there are certain formats and forms that 1Password struggles filling. If you can point those out to us, we can take a look and report any unexpected behaviors as well as feedback to our developers.

Feel free to reply with a specific form any time, and we will be happy to review it with you.

Should I start a separate thread about the partial filling and the UI aspects I brought up in this one?

No need! You can reply here with the details, and we'll do our best to address everything.

• jamescarne
    jamescarne
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your replies I appreciate a company that takes feedback seriously and acts on it.

"We are working on adding suggestions to first and last name fields. If there are any other fields that you would like to fill from 1Password's inline menu, please let me know and I can share your request with our developers."

I come from Lastpass and it had a really good "right-click fill" where it would offer you both identities or credit cards - you could just pick one and it would try and field match and fill (they ruined it by trying to make it too clever but the basic version was a time-saver). Is something like that an option?

The Dutch address system has some quirks that the house number comes after the street name and in the bigger cities the flats are given the same number with a suffix but the suffix is unpredictable and can be a mix of numbers and letters. It works like:
    [Streetname][space][StreetNumber][optional space or hyphen][Suffix], for example:
    Dorp Straat 22-A
    Dorp Straat 23B
    Dorp Straat 15 II
    Dorp Straat 15-1
    Dorp Straat 17-1L

Woonplaats is City

My birthday is formatted DD-MM-YYYY (so if it was jan 1 1970 it would be 1-1-1970)

Thanks again, I'll keep on commenting as I discover things

This discussion has been closed.