.ws.agile.1Password.settings in Dropbox folder

face
face
Community Member
edited February 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hi,
in my dropbox i see a file .ws.agile.1Password.settings is out of the 1Password folder. Why ? May i delete it ?

Comments

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

That is a good question

mine is date back in 2010, so most likely useless

Eager to see the answer

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

It is definitely not useless. :)

It contains the location of your data file so that the mobile apps know where to find it when syncing. If you delete it you will break Dropbox syncing on your mobile devices. I would advise against deleting it. Since it contains the location of your data file, it doesn't need to be updated unless you move your data file. If you haven't moved your data file in a few years (which is perfectly expected) then the modified date will be a few years in the past.

As with all files whose names begin with a period, it is hidden in UNIX-based operating systems like OS X. The Dropbox web interface and mobile app unfortunately do not follow this convention so you will see it listed in those places. On Windows, you can simply mark the file as "Hidden" in Windows Explorer or via the command line.

I hope that helps you understand the situation a bit better, but please let me know if you still have any other questions.

Cheers!

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member

Thanks, this clarifies for me

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad I could help. It is my pleasure to do so. :)

• randot
    randot
    Community Member

Does dropbox respect any other Mac hiding conventions that could be used in addition to the .filename? Like chflags hidden? Would love for this file to be hidden in the Dropbox iOS apps.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I don't know of any way to hide a file in the Dropbox mobile apps. If someone else knows, it would be great if they would share it. :)

• mox
    mox
    Community Member

Glad I found this post as I was just about to ask the same question.

I do have another similar question: is the 1PasswordSync folder necessary any longer? The timestamp on the folder is just shy of 2 years.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2013

No recent versions of 1Password create such a folder, but if your data file is in it you probably don't want to delete it. :)

What are the contents?

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

@Mox

Just a note I was able to delete my folder but when I try to permanently expunge it from Dropbox's deleted files. I always get a permission denied type of error.

Since mine was deleted. Just not expunged I let it go.

In short if you experience an error such as this you may need to contact Dropbox Support and ask them to purge it. That is if it bothers you.

But as the oh great and powerful KHAD said do not delete it if it contains your data file.

My folder was empty.

• rcsingleton
    rcsingleton
    Community Member

Hi, I just noticed that .ws.agile.1Password.settings is outside the 1Password folder in my Dropbox account, as well. I'm also unable to access my passwords. When I enter my 1Password password, I receive an error message that says a "key data file" is missing. Is that key data file .ws.agile.1Password.settings? If so, how do I properly return it to the 1Password folder (i.e. where does it belong)?

Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rcsingleton,

The .ws file should always been in the root of your Dropbox folder. The only purpose of this file is to tell your iOS devices where to find your data file in Dropbox. It's best if you leave it where it is, otherwise, as Khad mentions above, you could break the sync on your iOS devices. :)

I think the trouble you're experiencing here is probably unrelated to this little guy.

Could you tell me a bit more about the situation here? It sounds like you are trying to access 1Password Anywhere. Are you trying to do so directly from the Dropbox website?

This discussion has been closed.