Browser integration problem

Options
LarryMcJ
LarryMcJ
Community Member
edited May 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

After working just fine forever, this morning I happened to look at 1Password Settings and saw this.

I did all the requested things in Terminal, restarted my Mac, and it still exists. It's odd how things just seem to stop working in v8, no changes, no new apps...nothing. I also tried every other suggestion on this page...still doesn't work.

1Password Version: 8.10.6
Extension Version: 2.10.0
OS Version: 13.4
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Hey @LarryMcJ,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having. I think it would be useful if we could take a closer look at some logs and what may be going wrong.

I'd like to ask you to send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thank you.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

Thanks, but this time I'll pass. The last couple of times I've sent in logs...nothing was fixed and one of the problems has existed since January. In my email communications regarding these, 1Password acknowledges it is their problem and that the developers are still working on it. After six months I guess I'm finally getting weary of all the little things that have plagued this previously excellent product in the past year and the few issues that continue to severely interrupt my work flow, not being fixed. Thanks, again.

• steph.giles
    edited May 2023
    Options

Hi @LarryMcJ,

I'm sorry to hear that. Do you have the support ID number so I can try and follow up on those for you?

In the meantime, do any of the steps in this guide help? If 1Password isn't working in your browser.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

The support ID of the issue that has been ongoing since January is [#ILP-68128-724]. I think you'll better understand where I'm at after reading the comments from both me and 1Password in this email thread. There is no need for further follow-up on this as the last person from 1Password who replied was very clear on what was being done...there is nothing else to do but wait.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @LarryMcJ, I understand that you have encountered a known issue with Touch ID not working to unlock the extension (when an external monitor is used). While we can't make any promises from here in Support, we can certainly bring up this particular paint point to our developers once again. We are truly sorry about the disruption to your workflow that this has caused.

In the meantime, it should be possible to workaround the issue by unlocking the 1Password app before using the extension. Here's the workflow that I would use:

1. Click on the 1Password app icon and open it.
    1. Unlock the app with Touch ID.
    2. Go to your browser.
    3. The extension should be unlocked and ready for use.

Could you try that out to see how it works on your end? Let us know if you have any questions or run into any issues with the workflow.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Joy_1P, but this isn't a viable option for me, and actually more problematic (for me) than just typing in my password each time 1P doesn't properly invoke TouchID from the browser. The reason is because I have 1P configured to only remain open for 1 minute (for security purposes). This procedure would force me to always take a browser action within 1 minute, which isn't always feasible. Thanks, anyway.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@LarryMcJ based on your security configurations, it's true that the app/extension would lock after a minute. However, you would just have to unlock the app/extension if you want to use them again. The frequency of having to unlock the app/extension doesn't change in the absence of the Touch ID issue when things are all working well.

For some context, the extension inherits the app's auto-lock settings when the two are connected. So if things had been working correctly, and you have the app set to lock after a minute of inactivity, you would still have to unlock the extension after a minute inactivity. Of course, if you're already in the browser, it's a lot easier being able to unlock the extension with Touch ID vs going to the app and unlocking it with Touch ID. The workaround is not perfect, but it is an option that is available should you choose to use it. I didn't see that it was shared with you previously, so I wanted to let you know about it.

Again, I'm very sorry about the disruption to your workflow, but I hope this insight is helpful. If I've missed anything, or if you have any other questions, please let us know.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

@Joy_1P Thanks so much for suggesting the workaround option. None of this is anything more than 1st world problems. We often get comfortable (or lazy) with all the automation and when it's broken, it can seem worse than it really is :-)

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@LarryMcJ You are welcome, and we will definitely bring this issue up to the devs again. We appreciate your patience and understanding!

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

v8.10.7 (81007041) for macOS appears to have resolved this (and several other) issues I've been having. Thanks! 🙂

• @LarryMcJ,

Thanks for the update, have a great weekend!

This discussion has been closed.