Passkeys and Safari

Options

Am I reading the pre-announcement email correctly, that passkeys initially won't work with the 1Password beta?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• jtaylor
    jtaylor
    Community Member
    Options

It appears to suggest that to me as well.

They need to figure out Test Flight or some sort of solution for beta browser extensions for Safari. If not I may switch back to Apple Passwords especially with Family Sharing coming in Sonoma.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

Agree that it's a compelling choice. I was actually more excited about family sharing in Sonoma Passwords than the Vision Pro! If passkeys are not available in Safari (using 1Password), I'm sure someone will let us know.

• mikesilva
    mikesilva
    Community Member
    Options

I'm confused, as the beta browser extension page now has a Safari link. And, when I clicked it, TestFlight opened up letting me install build 2.12.0 (21200003) that says it has the Passkey beta bits.

• mikesilva
    mikesilva
    Community Member
    Options

...aaaand, I'm happy to report I just used it to create and login with my first Passkey in Safari.

• chris55
    chris55
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

Where’s this macOS TestFlight link you speak of @mikesilva?

Edit: Found it

• mikesilva
    mikesilva
    Community Member
    Options

Here:
    https://1password.com/downloads/mac/

However, I have the latest TestFlight beta in iOS, that looks to have been released today, but it doesn’t appear the safari extension it installs supports passkey sign-in just yet. :-(

So have fun with it on the Mac for now. Maybe they’ll update iOS bets with support when we all wake up on the 6th.

• HinghamHarborMan
    HinghamHarborMan
    Community Member
    Options

@mikesilva FYI, Apple just announced Passkey APIs available for third party password managers yesterday for iOS 17. So iOS Passkeys likely won't be available for a while.

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello everyone!

Starting today, everyone can save & sign in with passkeys using the beta version of the 1Password browser extension – available across Chrome, Edge, Brave, Firefox, and Safari on the desktop. You can read more here: Save and Sign In with Passkeys Using 1Password In the Browser

To save and fill passkeys in Safari on the Mac you'll need to install the beta version of 1Password in the browser using TestFlight.

The team is hard at work at getting full passkey support on iOS ready (including saving and filling on iOS) and hopefully we'll have more to share soon. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.