Access saved passkey without a browser extension?

Options
doubleforte
doubleforte
Community Member

I've saved a passkey via the 1P Chrome extension. If I don't have the Safari browser extension installed, I don't see a way to use the passkey in Safari. I can get it to show me a QR code to scan, but it appears to only look in the iCloud Keychain, and the passkey isn't there so the whole processes fails.

Am I missing something, or is "scan this QR code with 1P" coming up?

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.7 (81007041)
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: macOS 13.4
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Ryan Parman
    Ryan Parman
    Community Member
    Options

Perhaps a better way to phrase the question is: Will 1Password support import from Chrome and/or iCloud Keychain?

• doubleforte
    doubleforte
    Community Member
    Options

That's a good question, but not what I'm getting at here.

I'd prefer to avoid having passkeys in the browser silos and instead keep all my passkeys in 1P (the silo that talks to the other silos). So importing wouldn't help.

I'm thinking more about trying to make a passkey while in Chrome, save it to 1P, and the access it in Safari when the extension isn't installed. On my phone, for example. Or on somebody else's computer.

Passkeys are a tricky problem for sure, but that's the passkey future we are signing up for.

• TataruTaru
    TataruTaru
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

Isn't the current method of passkeys being accessed on other devices, the QR code?

I think until iOS 17 and Android 14 are fully released and 1PW updates the apps, we won't have a camera that can scan the QR code and pull the data from the app.

(Context: Only iOS17 and Android 14 will allow 3rd party Passkey providers)

This discussion has been closed.