Question about passkeys and Watchtower

Options

In your latest blog post about passkeys (and in other places) you've mentioned that Watchtower "will tell you when a website that you use has added passkey support". Ever since I first saw this in the release notes I've been keeping an eye on Watchtower and on the accounts that should support passkeys, but I've yet to see any notice at all in either the Watchtower report or in the two accounts that I check regularly for this.

The two accounts are a Microsoft and a Google account and according to https://passkeys.directory/ they support passkeys. I've added their base domains (microsoft.com and google.com as shown in the directory) to the items in 1Password, but it made no difference.

Note that I'm on the beta of the desktop version, but right now I'm on the production version since there's no later beta.

Why am I not seeing any notifications about passkeys being available?

1Password Version: 1Password for Windows 8.10.7 (81007041)
Extension Version: 1Password in the browser 2.12.0 (21200003) on BETA
OS Version: Windows 10 22H2
Browser:_ Firefox

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hey @Backspaze

We had a little hiccup getting the latest 1Password desktop betas out the door. Should be coming soon. I apologize for the delay.

Ben

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Ben, thanks for the quick reply, but this shouldn't be related to the beta? The new Watchtower feature for passkeys should be available in the production release as well, at least according to the release notes.

• Ben
    Options

The Watchtower feature is currently gated to beta releases only. It appears the release notes do not reflect that. I'll see if we can get a correction out on that point. Thanks for the heads up!

Ben

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

@Ben

Today I received the latest beta (1Password for Windows 8.10.8 (81008010)) and the release notes mentions only one point:

We’ve added a new category to Watchtower for Login items with websites that support passkeys.

However, I'm still not seeing that category in Watchtower or any kind of notification about this on my Microsoft and Google login items. Am I missing something?

• GreyM1P
    Options

@Backspaze

If you create a new item with https://accounts.google.com as its "website" field, does that show a banner that a passkey is available? If so, check to see if you have any Ignored Alerts at the bottom-right corner of the Watchtower tab, then use the drop-down menu to choose "Passkeys available" in the ignored items.

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member
    Options

@GreyM1P and @Ben

Sometime during the night or day another beta version was installed - 1Password for Windows 8.10.8 (81008013) - and after that I could see the passkey section in Watchtower. I have no clue as to why it wasn't showing before, but it's finally there now, so case closed!

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Backspaze

I'm happy that you now see the passkey category in 1Password for Windows. Thank you for following up. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.