Feedback regarding the 1Password passkey demo site

Options

Since you just released support for passkeys for 1Password in the browser, I went straight to the demo site to test it and ran into some issues.

• When I registered, a notification from the 1Password browser plugin popped up in the top right corner, but all I could do was to save it. I would've liked to edit it's name, tags and so on, just like with any other item, especially since 1Password is misspelled as 1password.

• Once the item was saved, I clicked on Continue to log in, but was only greeted with the view shown in the screenshot below, nothing else happened. I clicked on the Back link and entered the email address and tried logging in again with the same result. Then I tried two different ways to get past this, see below for details.

• If I used the Login with a code link, I got an email with a code and after signing in with that code, I was able to log in with the passkey.
    • If I opened the demo site in a new tab and tried to sign in again, it automatically sent a code to my email, and after entering the code, it suggested that I add a passkey...which I already had. If I clicked to register it again, 1Password asked if I wanted to create a new key or update an existing, naturally I chose the latter, and after the passkey had been saved/updated I could finally log in with the passkey.
  • When I'm at the log in screen, 1Password doesn't suggest any saved login items to use, even though I have the passkeys stored in 1Password. If I click on the 1Password browser plugin, it even lists the passkeys for the demo site, but clicking on Autofill does nothing except close the 1Password in the browser window.

This is not optimal for a demo site that is supposed to show how easy and convenient it is with passkeys, so hopefully you'll be able to use this feedback to improve the experience before it goes out of beta.

1Password Version: 1Password for Windows 8.10.7 (81007041)
Extension Version: 1Password in the browser 2.12.0 (21200003) on BETA
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 22H2
Browser:_ Firefox

Comments

• passwordsbeegone
    passwordsbeegone
    Community Member
    Options

This site is definitely good at demoing how passkeys are not working properly on all (most?) sites as far as I can tell. Do you have cookies denied on your regular browser? As far as I can tell sites only ask you to sign in using your passkey with a cookie. If you try to sign in with incognito or another browser with 1password Beta extension it does the same thing. A login system can not rely on a cookie so looks like more work is needed.

I can get it to work in the same browser but I generally allow cookies.

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member
    Options

@passwordsbeegone I use Firefox with the Strict profile under Privacy and Security so it might be cookie related.

When I created this thread, I also sent the same information to support@passage.id and a link to this thread. I got a reply that they couldn't reproduce the issue and they asked me for a screen recording. They also wanted to know if I had uninstalled the stable 1Password extension from the browser while running the beta. I sent a recording of the issue and noticed that I'd only disabled the stable version of the extension, but completely uninstalling it made no difference. I haven't heard anything more since then.

This discussion has been closed.